Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Complete suspension build

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you really need is good shocks, springs, and swaybars and it will turn your stock fbody into a handling monster. That's all their is to it.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Think of it this way: Parts do a job. If the job doesn't need "done", or the parts are not correct for the job, what's the result? Just because parts exist doesn't mean they are automatically better for all situations. Different parts exist for different reasons.

Further, the background various vendors have varies quite a lot as well, and packages are put together using their particular frame of reference. These days I'm the only one around here who turns corners. Even when I wasn't there wasn't agreement on exactly what parts to run, though the parts were more similar than many more drag race oriented kits.

I'm not a huge fan of pre-packaged solutions *unless* after a pretty in depth conversation we conclude the part in a package are all necessary for a particular person's goals. Normally we find that we can get by with fewer, but more well chosen parts.

A Marathon runner doesn't eat or train like a Cornerback. Both are athletes, but run, and both are in great shape. But they don't use the same "parts" to tune themselves. Cars are no different. And the use of a car by various folks can be very, very different.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-31-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A Marathon runner doesn't eat or train like a Cornerback. Both are athletes, but run, and both are in great shape. But they don't use the same "parts" to tune themselves. Cars are no different. And the use of a car by various folks can be very, very different.
I have been reading up on this thread seeing what I could do to my 02 hawk to get it handling a bit better like the 1LE option since my car didn't have any of the upgraded suspension options....

I liked this analogy that you used, and was wondering if a marathon runner would be like a track car, and the cornerback is like a dragster, what would i need to be like a shortstop?
Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I didn't think the analogy that far through....

What parts depends on what it is you want to change about the way the car drives. Everyone wants their car to handle better, but they all mean different things by it.

The biggest part the 1LE's had that changes the car is the shocks. In fact only the shocks, springs, bars, and some bushings were different. Being a Hawk you already have the bar combo all the 94-99 1LE's did (and you can upgrade those more if you like). You don't have the springs, but that's not a deal breaker as I bought my '01 Z28 instead of getting a 1LE car because I felt it was better in some ways, and in fact on a competition basis the non-1LE cars have won more Championships than 1LE cars have.

I'm fond of saying shocks, shocks, shocks. And in this case, that's certainly where I'm sure we need to start. That said, I can never say for sure without talking to you. Forums and PM's and E-mails are way too vague, and can't replace a genuine conversation where we can ask questions and compare notes.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would love to call and talk to you on the issue... but I guess the bottom line is i have never driven an F-body (or any car for that matter) with upgraded suspension... so I wouldnt really know what I want out of it. This is all uncharted waters for me so I really dont know what I want out of the car. All I know is that I want to play with some new parts and make my car do some cool $hit.

And not to mention im not really ready to purchase anything just yet. Im basically trying to figure out how much I need to save up in order to buy everything I want (in the next 6 months).
Old 10-31-2008, 04:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

So do you think you'd learn more reading forums, or by talking to someone who could give you feedback and ask you questions?

You don't have to have driven other cars, or know a bunch of technical terms. It's your car, and should act the way you want (if possible). If you are happy with it, then great. If not, I'm sure you have some idea what you don't like--and that's what we'd talk about, along with anything else that might come up in the process.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back from the Dead

Sam,
you have a long arm which is great for you cuase you do circle track. and like mighty mouse has a short cause he does straight.

so first how do you do both. i mean i like to drag race straight at the stop light. but i also like to take a off ramp and high speeds and stick the car to the ground. where do i start. do i start with like stock suspension and just keep talking to you to keep adding things or what?

please help me.
and i know you dont like the UE torque arm, but if it was sat "right" would it be the best of all worlds? please help
Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
Back from the Dead

Sam,
you have a long arm which is great for you cuase you do circle track. and like mighty mouse has a short cause he does straight.

so first how do you do both. i mean i like to drag race straight at the stop light. but i also like to take a off ramp and high speeds and stick the car to the ground. where do i start. do i start with like stock suspension and just keep talking to you to keep adding things or what?

please help me.
and i know you dont like the UE torque arm, but if it was sat "right" would it be the best of all worlds? please help
There are a lot of guys that really seem to understand what they are doing and like has been said they have been trying to figure it out for over 3 years. That should start to make you wonder wether it is really a matter of it being set right or if it's just not as good as it is cracked up to be.

Quick Reply: Complete suspension build