Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will sway bars fix this

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will sway bars fix this

Ok watch the vid and pause it as the car comes back to the cam. ie 1.11 and 1.52. The "sway" in the frt of the car, will this be fixed by a sway bar or shocks/springs. Dont forget at this point the car settled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbNHnE_m0Vo
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say it would be a whole combination of parts, but I would say shocks and swaybar myself.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Yea i have the hated susp setup. lol Lg springs and HDs with stock sways.
i love the way it feels on turn in, but midway to out i dont like. on quick switch backs its pretty soft as well. This year i will be taking out weight like crazy. Going from 3700 to 3300. Still have ac and spare in there. Also will weight affect the shock/springs/sway i will need.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

i think better struts would be highly beneficial and then work from there. a thicker sway bar wouldnt hurt for sure though.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some poly bushings, looks like you need a thicker rear sway bar if u are going to be drifting. and koni shocks set to firm. you dont want the car leaning on to one wheel.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Yea i have all new bushings for my sways and control arms. I like the way the rear feels, gets plenty of grip and tire wear and temp is even all the way across. Its the frt end i dont like.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not big on drifting so what are you wanting to fix? Are you wanting the car to toss the rear end easier? If so then a larger rear sway bar would help with that. I assume you have the stock 32/19 sway bars that come with the SS. You may want to get an adjustable rear bar like is offered from Hellwig. THis would help you dial things in a bit better. Another thing you may want to look at is a PHB. I found it helped the car feel a bit more predictable when I had a stiffer aftermarket one (I don't recommend aluminum).
Old 11-05-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

I'll say that I'm not a drift expert my any means (though I do it unintentionally sometimes ) but could you describe the problem that happens that you want to fix? Is it that the front end is swaying back and forth too quickly? Shocks control the roll rate. Is it that it leans too much to one side or the other? Springs and swaybars control how hard it is to roll the vehicle. If you have roll control now though and go to bigger springs, keep in mind you will have more to control and typically you always should upgrade shocks at that point.

Who knows though... I don't know what drift racers do to set up their car. Do you really want to set up your car for drifting though? How much different would it be from a daily driver. I'd prefer someone who has experience in serious drifting competitions to answer this question though, not some Joe Shmoe who takes their car to a parking lot every once in a while.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'll say that I'm not a drift expert my any means (though I do it unintentionally sometimes ) but could you describe the problem that happens that you want to fix? Is it that the front end is swaying back and forth too quickly? Shocks control the roll rate. Is it that it leans too much to one side or the other? Springs and swaybars control how hard it is to roll the vehicle. If you have roll control now though and go to bigger springs, keep in mind you will have more to control and typically you always should upgrade shocks at that point.

Who knows though... I don't know what drift racers do to set up their car. Do you really want to set up your car for drifting though? How much different would it be from a daily driver. I'd prefer someone who has experience in serious drifting competitions to answer this question though, not some Joe Shmoe who takes their car to a parking lot every once in a while.
No, not switching to quickly, but to slow. The will turn in and then settle down, and you can feel it drop. Guess with tax money i will be calling up sam and get his setup. But i do love the way the rear feel just the frt i dont like. It take to long to switch back.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

You will likely want a larger front bar from what I'm hearing. The adjustable rear bar would be nice as well to dial it all back in how you want it for drifting rather than have a guestimated size that will might be wrong. I'm a huge fan of sam's suspension parts I've used but I'm not sure if they are right for drifting. Give him a call though, he will give you solid info. You might want to mess with your alignment specs as well.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sure I can put something together.... Probably wouldn't involve a spring change in this case (might, hard to say).

Definitely adjustable shocks to tune response rate. And an adjustable rear bar is an idea too. We are not selling the Hellwing adjustable bars (22mm solid, 3 way adjustable) as a supplement to our hollow rear bars.

I do know this about drift cars. They are't setup a lot differently than a car mean to turn. You want to be able to point the car, but not have it try and kill you. Making it too stiff in the rear or too soft in the front would be counterproductive. I remember seeing the specs on the Millen GTO and thinking it sounds a lot like my autox setup basic if a bit stiffer in the front.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!