Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Overhauling suspension... meed advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Overhauling suspension... meed advice

So i am thinking about beefing up my suspension. The things i need to get are w panhard rod relocation kit for running 3 in pipes over the axle, panhard rod, front and rear sway bars, conntrol arms, SFCs, and shocks. Anyone think of anything else that would be good for handling AND launching? Also, should i get adjustable or non adjustable? is it worth it to go adjustable if i only go to the track once a month? I would also prefer to get bolt in parts with exception to the subframe connectors. Another issue is that i want to run Hooker or Pacesetter LTs with a 3in x pipe all the way back over the axle (hence the panhard rod relacation kit). Anyone with any experience on these please advise... thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 04:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...also, i dont mean to sound like i have the 'i want it all syndrome' i just want a car that i can drive everyday that i can cut an alright 60ft with. i still have a stock rear end, so the traction that i need to get is pretty limited. It is more for handling than for drag use, but i don't want to have a one trick pony if ya get my drift...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, i believe that we can help you out. We offer solid 32mm front and 22mm rear sway bars. They are cold formed to resist torsional fatigue. We offer two different styles of frame connectors,tubular and boxed. Both are a weld in design with the boxed version being the stronger of the two. The tubular design is engineered for cars that need extra ground clearance. We have a complete line of bolt on suspension parts for the front and rear of your car. We have way to many parts for me to list. Take a look at our site and if you have any questions about any of our parts please give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
So i am thinking about beefing up my suspension. The things i need to get are w panhard rod relocation kit for running 3 in pipes over the axle, panhard rod, front and rear sway bars, conntrol arms, SFCs, and shocks. Anyone think of anything else that would be good for handling AND launching? Also, should i get adjustable or non adjustable? is it worth it to go adjustable if i only go to the track once a month? I would also prefer to get bolt in parts with exception to the subframe connectors. Another issue is that i want to run Hooker or Pacesetter LTs with a 3in x pipe all the way back over the axle (hence the panhard rod relacation kit). Anyone with any experience on these please advise... thanks

First of all a PHB relocation kit is not good for handling. It further screws up the geometry of a PHB, especially on a lowered car. I can't condone messing up the suspension to clear an exhaust, that's really silly. There are some options that allow you a little more room for the exhaust *AND* fix all the issues with a PHB and the arc they must move it--- it's called a Watts link.

As for the LCA's, springs and all that. There are a LOT of options. You don't need springs to have a great handling car. You might want them. Lowering springs are not ideal for a launching car (ever notice drag springs are tall and soft???), but also is you pick a good set won't wreck the car's ability. LCA's come in a huge variety of types. Some are great for drag, but suck for handling. Some are very good at both. Some are very good handling but not so hot for launching.

In the end, a car that handles well can launch pretty well. Cars setup for drag don't drive well. Furhter, there are parts we can use that are easily changed or adjusted for drag strip use so as not to wreck the drivability of the car.

Every shop here will tell you they will help you. I suggest calling more than one and talking to them. I would be happy to discuss your needs (which to be honest are vague--everyone wants the car to handle and leave well...). But I'd also talk to you about how various part effect the car for the good and the bad.

I don't take the throw everything + the kitchen sink at it approach. Well thought out plans trump the need for more parts that aren't necessarily helpful for a particular problem.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Be sure you check that if you go with a rod ended PHR, the diameter of the bolt passage through the rod end is gonna match your metric bolt. I didn't know to check that so now i have a LOT of NVH.