Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Spring Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

BMR will the remaining stock of the previous rear springs be pulled? Im definitely buying the new designs when they come out, but I just want to be sure that when I order (BMR WEBSITE) them I get the new design and not the old one.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good point ^ ^ ^ and can i get them in black or your silver vein color?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have BMR+KONI combo(+ much more stuff) and i am VERY pleased with my set-up. I can only compare to the shitty original combo and it can´t be compared.

Last edited by vikingramair; 11-09-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lubsvitek
I run BMR springs and am very happy with them. Ride feels very solid, but not rough. It's great and feels smooth on the street, but when you push it in autocross it feels very sturdy and responsive, and if you take it to the drag strip and turn down the firmness setting on the front shocks if you have adjustables (I have agx's) the car launches very nicely.

Definitely recommended, I've had eibach as well and like my BMR's much more. I got my set from texas speed a while back along with some other goodies.
Awsome!!! Some one with the same combo that I want too put on my car!!! So you like them!! I guess thats a good thing!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
BMR will the remaining stock of the previous rear springs be pulled? Im definitely buying the new designs when they come out, but I just want to be sure that when I order (BMR WEBSITE) them I get the new design and not the old one.
No problem there. We ran out of the old springs already.

I am fairly certain that all of our distributors have ran through their stock also.
We still need to hear back from 1 or 2 distributors before I can defintely say this.

Feel free to place your order for the new springs now. BMR does not bill your credit card until the springs ship. Also, there is no cancellation charge if you cancel your order before the product ships.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 11-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned

and black? or no?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMR is on it. Might need a set of these springs.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
good point ^ ^ ^ and can i get them in black or your silver vein color?
Usually, we don't offer that color for springs.

They are powdercoated red by the spring manufacturer. We would have to strip the powdercoat, sand blast the springs, and then re-powdercoat them black hammertone. We rarely use our strip tank, so we would have to heat up the tank just for these springs. Then, blast them. Then, re-powdercoat.

If you really want them in black hammertone, call Dennis and I'm sure we could work something out.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 11-10-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
No problem there. We ran out of the old springs already.

I am fairly certain that all of our distributors have ran through their stock also.
We still need to hear back from 1 or 2 distributors before I can defintely say this.

Feel free to place your order for the new springs now. BMR does not bill your credit card until the springs ship. Also, there is no cancellation charge if you cancel your order before the product ships.
I'll be ordering this week!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

and black? or no?
Just give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the very first run of them and I LOVE them! Running Strano's Bilsteins and the car handles AMAZING!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

not picking sides

so since BMR was out first. did sam copy BMR or is BMR changing theres to keep up with sam?

just wondering. springs are close to the next purchuse
I can assure you I didn't copy anyone. My spring rates and heights were determined by way of what I use on my car, nothing else.

I have run (are you ready?): stock, 1LE, LS1 Pro-kit, LT1 Pro-kit, H&R's, Hotchkis, etc. I then used coil-overs to run a lot of other rates primarily in front, but also in the rear. 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 900, 950, and even a few times 1000 and up (yeck). In the rear I've been though V-6 stock, Z28 stock, 1LE, Pro-kits, Hotchkis, 100's, 125's, 150's, 175's, 200's, and 225's.

Interesting to see that BMR is changing their springs after all these years.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-11-2008, 06:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

first, i Love made in USA.

Second i am driveing a F-Body with the check engine word(not the little motor)so my car was intened for the USA. also GM is in the USA.

i don't mean to get all patriotic but have a little respect for American Goods.

alot of gm stuff is made out of country but acembled in states.

GOD BLESS THE USA and the goods made here by hard working AMERICAN Citizens.

so to hijack. but to the thread
Um... hate to break it to you.... The car was built in Quebec. And the brakes, they are from an Australian company.

I like the USA as much as anyone. My springs are not made here, and I don't claim they are. There is but two reasons why they aren't. Because I wanted certain things to be part of my springs and could not get that here. The tight QC on rates and heights, and the material. That's why the springs are made in Germany, and that's why we often endure such long waits. But I won't compromise on what I want.

The material used to make my springs is a alloy that Vogtland makes called VVS and that is a propietary alloy. It is theirs, and unless somehow BMR has moved Germany to the USA, the new BMR springs are not either made in the USA, or not the 'exact same' material.....

I don't know why BMR chose to change their springs after all these years, but would be curious to hear. If 145-170 rear right before, why not now? As for the weight of the rear spring. It'll be hard to weigh less than mine. I use a minimum amount of metal for the springs, we don't run more windings than we need to hold the spring in place. We also use fewer coils than any other rear spring on the market in the working range. And in fact a set of my springs is 27 pounds in a cardboard box.... The rears are only about 4 pounds each. The majority of the weight is saved on the front springs as they use much thicker wire, and are much heavier than the rears.

And let's call a spade a spade here. BMR is big on telling us how their parts are tested on fast drag cars. I think that's great that they can make those claims and stand behind them. But we are talking about lowering springs here, not drag parts. Lowering springs are primarily for handling, some use them for looks. And turning is my game. It's what I do, and where my products are developed. You don't see other suspension companies doing what I do, let alone winning National Championships. Though Hotchkis has made a big deal lately about one of their engineers running local autoxes in CA and winning... a far cry from what I do. You can see for yourself over on the Hotchkis site. I've been on the cover of more than one national magazine, and in different cars. I've done magazine cars, and have hard numbers to show the results of the parts.

In fact, the difference my basic suspension makes on an f-body (springs, bars, shocks, UMI PHB) was just shy of the difference in speed of an '09 Z51 vs. a '09 ZR1 Corvette on a road course that was another 3/4 mile longer than what we used for our suspension test. A ZR1 is 4.2 seconds a lap faster (per the newest Car and Driver) @ Grattan Raceway than a Z51 with 200 less HP. The GMHTP car I did was run on the 1.3 mile track @ Englishtown NJ, and was 3.4 seconds faster over that lap... see here for the article: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html And the suspension had so much more in it that the addition of a set of R-compound type tires dropped another 3.5 seconds. You don't need to believe me, just read the article, and bear in mind the car is driven daily across New York City.

Everyone who sells parts is out to sell their parts. I sell parts too, and believe that the proof of quality and knowledge is in the results, just like BMR does about their drag stuff.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 11-11-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Um... hate to break it to you.... The car was built in Quebec. And the brakes, they are from an Australian company.

I like the USA as much as anyone. My springs are not made here, and I don't claim they are. There is but two reasons why they aren't. Because I wanted certain things to be part of my springs and could not get that here. The tight QC on rates and heights, and the material. That's why the springs are made in Germany, and that's why we often endure such long waits. But I won't compromise on what I want.
Would it be worth my time to trade up for your springs? I've thought about doing this, but then also thought about having to change the shocks as well to coincide with the new rates.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What springs do you have now? As much as I'd love everyone to have my springs, it's not realistic, or proper. There are reasons for lowering springs, and reasons to run other lowering springs (and I'll admit that).

You have a SS, which means you shocks are better than a Z28's stock stuff. Not great to be sure, and if they have miles on them at all you'd be served by a shock change anyway. The fact is that shocks are spring dampers and they should be well matched to get the best result. Can you run lowering springs on stock shocks? Yes, but it's like running a killer head/cam setup with stock manifolds and exhaust. The gains will be muted.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

acembled

Asembled...
Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

One more word about springs.... and I mention this given UAZ28SS's post regarding shocks.

Springs are damped by shocks. Some companies don't sell shocks that are all that great for lowering springs. I sell a lot of brands, Tokico among them. I mention them as other companies offer this shock along with drag shocks only. Tokico's are a inexpensive shock that is so-so when new for lowering springs. I also happen to sell Tokico for a bit less than some of my competitiors. But, I don't recommend them because the quality and warranty aren't what they should be, and the damping while not bad at first suffers greatly with miles. Shocks and springs are a team, they compliment each other when the combination is right. They fight each other when the combination is wrong.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

So BMR isn't going to offer their 1 inch drop springs anymore? Or still have those for sale? I thought there was a lot of people who liked the 1 inch stance.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
One more word about springs.... and I mention this given UAZ28SS's post regarding shocks.

Springs are damped by shocks. Some companies don't sell shocks that are all that great for lowering springs. I sell a lot of brands, Tokico among them. I mention them as other companies offer this shock along with drag shocks only. Tokico's are a inexpensive shock that is so-so when new for lowering springs. I also happen to sell Tokico for a bit less than some of my competitiors. But, I don't recommend them because the quality and warranty aren't what they should be, and the damping while not bad at first suffers greatly with miles. Shocks and springs are a team, they compliment each other when the combination is right. They fight each other when the combination is wrong.
I have this question for you Sam!! I was wondering if any of your customers have bought aftermarket shock and struts (KYB AGX, KONI's etc) and run there stock springs instead of drop springs! I have the Y3F appearance package on my car and really don't want to lower it now that I have seen a car with the same appearance package lowered! What are your thoughts on this? Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would recommend Bilstein or Koni. The koni's are nice because they control the springs a bit better and give you some adjustment to make the car ride and handle how you want. The bilsteins are great for stock ride height (that is what they were valved for), not as good as koni's though. If you are trying to save some money then the Bils are the way to go IMO for a stock ride height car. I just feel the bils are built better than KYB's and Tokico's.

Quick Reply: BMR Spring Question?