Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake pedal kinda mushy, help me out, and noise???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default brake pedal kinda mushy, help me out, and noise???

alright, i just took off all my calipers, one at a time and bled each when i got done. my car stops and everything but the pedal still goes a little father than before but its not going to the floor. does my car just need time to work everything back into place?

on i hear a noise from the left front, pad rubing. now those little slider deals that you screw they caliper into were stuck and would not move where as all the other 3 wheels would. i fixed that so they move now. could the pad just need time to work in because it wasnt working right? and could this be why my pedal isnt up all the way.....? please let me know guys
Old 09-19-2003, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: brake pedal kinda mushy, help me out, and noise???

any thoughts by tonight would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-19-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much fluid draained out of the system while the calipers were off (may be some air in the abs module is why I ask)? As for noise, make sure the pads are worn evenly, most of the time when a caliper sticks, it destroys one pad. So, if you are not hitting the backing plate on one pad or the other, I'd start looking at the caliper bracket where the pads "slide" and make sure there are no rust spots, etc that may be hanging a pad up. As for the soft pedal. If you emptied the calipers of fluid, you may want to smack them with a rubber mallet (to dislodge any small air bubbles) and re-bleed them. That may fix your problem (in a pinch, a hammer and a chunk of 2x4 or other soft wood will work, but a rubber mallet is preferred). Good luck!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

not much drained when the calipers were off. we bled the brakes very good too. several times prob once i got a steady stream of fluid about 3 times after that. then refiled the resivoir. if air is in the abs how do i get it out? if i still had this problem tomorrow i think ill rebleed them sunday. as for the pads im gonna need to replace them u think? where can i get some good ceramic pads? or something good for slotted rotors?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not much drained when the calipers were off. we bled the brakes very good too. several times prob once i got a steady stream of fluid about 3 times after that.
YOu may just need to "smack" (gently) the calipers to release any air that is trapped in there (like bubbles hanging onto the side of a glass of sprite). Or, if it is air in the abs, some say you need a "tech 2" tool to cycle the abs, others say no. I've never had that problem (yet), so I can't say for sure.

for the pads im gonna need to replace them u think? where can i get some good ceramic pads? or something good for slotted rotors?
My personal opinion is to try Hawk HPS pads. You won't believe the brakes after that (compared to stock pads, it will STOP!). I'm running full race pads, but don't recommend it (dust, noise and rotor life). The Hawk HPS dont make much dust, are quiet and really do stop the car). Most of the sponsors on here carry them (or www.jegs.com).

Quick Reply: brake pedal kinda mushy, help me out, and noise???