Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new shocks and springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new shocks and springs?

ok, so i've been debating on whether or not to lower my car for the last few months and i've decided i want to lower it right around 1 inch all the way around. i figured since i'd be getting new springs it would be a good idea to get new shocks to go with it...right? right now i'm looking at the hotchkis or bmr lowering springs, are there any other good springs out there that give a 1 inch drop? if so which ones? and also should i save and get some koni's or some other shocks out there? thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I currently have BMR springs, which give just a hair over a 1" drop, and revalved Bilsteins from Strano. The car handles great, but I'm serious considering upgrading to Koni 4/4's, which will better compliment the rate of my springs.

A great deal of what you should look for in a shock/spring combo has to do with the greatest type of driving you do. In my case, I never go to the track, but carve mountains several times a month. Think about how you want to utilize the car and then go from there!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UAZ28SS
I currently have BMR springs, which give just a hair over a 1" drop, and revalved Bilsteins from Strano. The car handles great, but I'm serious considering upgrading to Koni 4/4's, which will better compliment the rate of my springs.

A great deal of what you should look for in a shock/spring combo has to do with the greatest type of driving you do. In my case, I never go to the track, but carve mountains several times a month. Think about how you want to utilize the car and then go from there!
how do the bmr springs feel? i see that their spring rate is a higher than stock springs.. is there a noticeable ride quality difference?..better/worse?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redbadss
how do the bmr springs feel? i see that their spring rate is a higher than stock springs.. is there a noticeable ride quality difference?..better/worse?
You don't want stock rates on lowering springs, you need more rate to make up for that 1" drop. (and FWIW BMR's springs are progressive, although they don't advertise that anymore for whatever reason).
Read the stickies:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html
No matter what a manufacturers says the ride quality will not be as good as it was on stock springs, especially with the stock shocks. Good shocks + stock springs = best ride. Good shocks + good springs = still great ride quality, arguably better than stock shocks/stock springs.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbadss
The car feels tighter and stiffer... I can feel the road more. I had the springs with the stock shocks for a bit before my new ones arrived and it was ok, at best. Once the new shocks arrived, it made a world of difference. Ride is a bit more rough, but I like being able to "feel" the road so that's the feel I was going for. Like JD said, the BMR springs are progressive, but I still really like them.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strano springs, Koni shocks
/thread
Yes the Konis are some high dollar shocks but this is the second set I've had (first set was on an 87 IROC) the ride's stiff, but controlled, and with the sway bars you'll go round corners like you're on rails