Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering car what do i need extra

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering car what do i need extra

so i have heard of some guys needing a panhard bar and others dont us ethem. so is it necessary so i can drop this thing. and if so what one do i need to buy
Old 11-27-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...e-newbies.html

You only need springs to lower the car. But if you want the rear end to be centered after lowering you need an adjustable panhard bar. If you want the car to ride and handle well after lowering you need quality shocks that can take the higher rates and less travel of the springs compared to stock.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the hotchkis 1" drop springs and rear isolators removed. i still have the factory panhard rod and my rear is still perfectly centered. not sure about bigger drops with the factory panhard rod
Old 11-27-2008, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now does it mater between on car adjustable. i think i just need to call sam and talk to him
Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

All you *need* to get the car lower are springs. That's not all you need to do the job correctly.

An adjustable PHB is always recommended to counter the change in length between the PHB mouting locations due to the drop. The more the drop, the greater the need. Even if you don't need to recenter things (and some cars are off to start and lowering makes them better), there is still a stability gain, i.e. help to handling from a better PHB.

Also something that isn't needed... in so far as you can get lowering without changing them, are different shocks. You can lower on stock springs, but can and should are not the same things.

Shocks are spring dampers. Stock shocks are iffy at best (and beyond terrible at worst) for stock springs. Adding more spring rate and cutting the travel the shock has to do it's damping just asks even more of a shock that already isn't up the task of correctly dealing with stock springs. And believe me, most complaints from people about these car stem from improper damping, not springs, not bar, not anything else... Shocks matter most if you want the car to work as best it can, period.

And sure, give me a call. I'd be happy to help. As always, there is not charge for you to call the tech line (the one in the signature). I only ask that I get a fair crack at your business when it comes time to buy.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!