Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front driver side inner pad dragging

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Front driver side inner pad dragging

My front driver side inner pad is dragging on the rotor and causing extra wear on both rotor and pad and making a dusty mess out of the wheel. The pads and rotors are a little over a year old and the caliper and slide pins are new a month and a half ago. This has been going on for a while, I replaced the caliper thinking that was the issue (and it needed replaced) but that didn't fix it.

I'm 99% sure only the inner pad is dragging because the outside of both driver and passenger side front rotors are worn the same but the inside is worn noticeably more on the driver side than the passenger side.

What could be causing this? It can't be the caliper since that was replaced and the slide pins move freely. I pulled on the wheel top-bottom and left-right and there wasn't any play in it that I could tell.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bump... I've been doing searches but to no avail and every mile I put on my car to and from work is that much more excess wear on the rotor and pad. Please help.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about try bleeding the brakes? Also, I found this on a google search:

------------------------------------
One pad worn way more then the other usually (always) means the caliper is
sticking.

When you use a clamp to push the piston back, pay attention to how much
turning force it takes & compare it to to the other side.

Do both sides close to the same time so you have a frame of reference to
compare. Open the bleeder 1st so old fluid does not back up into the system. If you can`t get the bleeder loose, you will have
to replace the caliper anyway.
------------------------------------

Sounds to me like perhaps the caliper is binding. But I'm confused too that the new caliper didn't do it unless it too is bad (as the one replaced). Do you have the ability to return it for another?

Last edited by Viper; 12-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

It has a warranty on it so yes I could return it for a new one if necessary. Still it seems odd a new one would have the exact same issue as the old one.

I talked to a mechanic friend and he said it is possible the hose is going perhaps, keeping a little pressure at the caliper. And since the pistons are on the back side of the wheel, that bit of unreleased pressure could keep the pistons out enough to make the inside pad rub the rotor but not enough to slide the pins and make the outer pad rub too. I never thought of that, so I'll have to jack the wheel up and see if bleeding the caliper frees up the wheel. If it does, it is a good chance there is a hose issue he said.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

*edit* double post, internet troubles.....
Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could have a brake line deteriorating from the inside not allowing the pressure to realease after letting off the pedal, my truck was doing same, replaced pads, caliper, turned rotor, greased bearings, still fkd up, then line and worked fine

Quick Reply: Front driver side inner pad dragging