Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problems putting on Strut Tower Brace.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Here's the deal...Both BMR's as well as UMIs braces, as pictured on their websites, have SLOTS to aid installation. The LG brace, as pictured here by "Bigpapa_TA", has HOLES. My LG brace also has holes.
This sounds like the answer to the question. I know the BMR one I used to have was a bit tight and it was slotted. I know I'd never be able to get a non slotted one on there without dropping the shock assembly slightly on one side.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

My UMI brace went right on.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you shouldn't torque down one side before fitting the other side. Just loosen them all down first so you can have some play with lining up the holes.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TORK?
Maybe you shouldn't torque down one side before fitting the other side. Just loosen them all down first so you can have some play with lining up the holes.
True, but it's easier to drop the passenger side strut, since the four bolts are easily accessible, whereas on the drivers side, two of the bolts are slightly under the master cylinder.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless the holes fit perfected around all four bolts(which I doubt they do, meaning no space around the bolts) between both sides there could be a small amount of movement even once bolted down. This brings backs the movement with the slotted ones which you would end up with the same result. Then this brings everybody back to whether or not STBs really do make a difference worth noting. Say they are good for something other than a arm rest in the engine bay. How much difference is there under a load and taking corners between the two kinds? If you believe there is a difference between them its all in your head. Same can be said for whether or not they make a difference or not to begin with. I myself can not honestly say I have noticed a difference performance(corning and bumps) wise, if anything maybe hit bumps going around corners but if there is, its very minimal IMHO
Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for your help, but I used a combination of input from leadfoot and whiterhino. I followed leadfoots instructions "You have to jack the car up, disconnect the shock/strut assembly from ONE side of the car or other, push the shock mount studs from that side of the car down, till they're almost into the fenderwell" after that the brace was on there further than what it was. I decided to follow whiterhino's instructions by hitting it with a rubber mallet out of anger!!! haha after it was on enough to get the bolts going i just tighten the bolts and then it went into place.

Quick Reply: Problems putting on Strut Tower Brace.