Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni vs Bilsteins for ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Im not blaming the ride quality difference between just the shocks or just the springs. The fact FOR ME was the prokit/bilstein setup rode nicer then the strano/koni setup and I know for a fact there have been SEVERAL people on these boards who think Koni shocks with stock springs ride harser then bilsteins.

Now what I can not tell you is which made it ride better. The springs or the shocks. Im not saying prokit/bilstein is supperior to koni/strano. Im just pointing out the fact from my point of view that the bilstein/prokit rode nicer. More "street friendly" I will say that the strano/koni handled better though. Like I said im not sure if the springs or the shocks made the nicer ride.

I will be putting bilsteins on with stock springs and Ill let you know how that does on the street.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

What settings are you running, you have yet to reply to this question. If you are on anything but full soft in the rear, you're being silly considering you want better ride quality. Also confirm the front settings for us, bet you need to drop it a couple notches. Get your settings right and run 32 PSI cold and I bet you're good. If you're still not happy, go to stock springs and keep your Konis. Regardless, you are running what look to be 25-30 series tires on 18s or 19s. This alone will KILL ride quality, you need some sidewall if comfort is a priority. As mentioned, lowering springs and ride quality can't be equal priorities - but Sam's setup comes as close as is available. Your wheel/tire combo is hurting you. Lowering springs are hurting you. Shock settings are probably the easiest to address and may get you to a satisfactory place.

WHAT ARE YOUR SHOCK SETTINGS?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I run 33 psi front and 30 psi rear.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I run 33 psi front and 30 psi rear.
Tire pressures? I run 35psi all 4 corners.. 33 and 30 seem a little to low. Hows your MPG?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I run 32 front, 30 rear.... That's GM OE spec in the rear, +2 psi in the front. Higher pressures, espeically in the rear will wreck ride quality not matter what you do for suspension as you are making the tire more rigid. Think of a hard rubber tire on a tricycle vs. an air filled tire on a bike. The tire is indeed a part of the damping on the car, and way too many overlook it, and assume that the max pressure on the tire is what they should run. That's wrong.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Koni vs Bilsteins for ride quality