Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Strut Tower on 99 V6?? can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR Strut Tower on 99 V6?? can it be done?

So the BMR Xtreme Strut Tower bar wont fit on the 98-02 v6 camaros/firebirds, but I'm wanting something strong to tie everything together. I'm assuming that it will not fit because the high palcement of the alternator would interfere with its mounting? That's my best guess. I'm trying to loose as much flex as I can. Already put on SFC's, a front sway, and the Xtreme drag rear sway and they have made a world of difference.

I realize there's more than one type of Strut Tower Brace out there, but this is the one I'm set on - whether it comes before or after my LsX swap.

Does anyone know if there's an alternator relocation kit for the 3800 motor?? I can't find one to save my life.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1wkd6
So the BMR Xtreme Strut Tower bar wont fit on the 98-02 v6 camaros/firebirds, but I'm wanting something strong to tie everything together. I'm assuming that it will not fit because the high palcement of the alternator would interfere with its mounting? That's my best guess. I'm trying to loose as much flex as I can. Already put on SFC's, a front sway, and the Xtreme drag rear sway and they have made a world of difference.

I realize there's more than one type of Strut Tower Brace out there, but this is the one I'm set on - whether it comes before or after my LsX swap.

Does anyone know if there's an alternator relocation kit for the 3800 motor?? I can't find one to save my life.
Sorry but its not going to do anything for you. That was one of my first mods (didn't know any better at the time) and I couldn't tell any difference, but I kept it on because it does look good.
FYI, swaybars and subframe connectors don't do the same things. One stiffens the suspension, the other stiffens the chassis.
If you want to stiffen up the chassis get a roll cage. If you want a solid, planted feeling car you need good suspension (shocks).
There are a billion posts and arguments about how stiff the chassis is, and from what I've read its much much stiffer than given credit for. So why does it feel so loose, and rattle you ask? Because the factory shocks are valved goofy and make the car smack against bumps and generally don't control the body movement. After putting on quality shocks I, and my other passengers noticed the huge difference even backing out from a driveway over the curb.
FYI, a 4th gen fbodies torsional frequency is supposedly 20hz, a C5 convertable is also 20hz, while a C5 targa top is 22hz.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew before I even bought the sways and the sfc's that they did different things, that was the idea behind getting them. lol