Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard Bar question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Panhard Bar question

Do i need an adjustable panhard bar ? BMR is having a pretty good sale and i want one for a chrismtas present to myself my car is not lowered nor do i plan on doing so. i will upgrade the suspension but to the stock height. is it really worth the extra money to go adjustable ? or should i save afew bucks and buy the plain jane non adjustable
Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You only need an adjustable if you have a lowered car or are planning to lower it. I just orderd a nonadjustable from UMI.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing to consider is whether or not you car's rear end is exactly centered "as-is". I've looked at MANY F-bods over the years, and each one is a little different....Production tolerances, you know.

An adjustable arm, while a few dollars more, will give you that extra bit of ability to fine tune.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I would never buy non-adjustable aftermarket pieces when adjustable ones are available. You are already spending extra money, spend a little more for the flexibility. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
BTW, my car was off-center by 13/16" to the passenger's side (totally stock, not lowered or altered in any way). It is now perfectly centered after installing and adjusting my UMI #2021 PHB.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you did want to get one i would only go with the adj. one, as stated above
Old 12-20-2008, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

If you do not plan on lowering the car, running a 315 wider or wider tire or doing any type of auto cross or road racing the non-adjustable panhard bar would be just fine.

We have ours on sale as well for $63.99 and it can be picked up from one of our dealers listed below.

www.byunspeed.com
www.ws6store.com
www.stranoparts.com
www.speedinc.com

if you have any questions please ask. thank you!

Ryan
Old 12-20-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
One thing to consider is whether or not you car's rear end is exactly centered "as-is". I've looked at MANY F-bods over the years, and each one is a little different....Production tolerances, you know.

An adjustable arm, while a few dollars more, will give you that extra bit of ability to fine tune.
I agree and have stated this aswell
I have yet to see a Factory F-body with a centered rear.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks alot for all your replys guys. ill be purchasing one next week when i have cash in the bank. its going to be a last minute thing :x
Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I would never buy non-adjustable aftermarket pieces when adjustable ones are available. You are already spending extra money, spend a little more for the flexibility. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
BTW, my car was off-center by 13/16" to the passenger's side (totally stock, not lowered or altered in any way). It is now perfectly centered after installing and adjusting my UMI #2021 PHB.
you cant say it any better. mine is stock ride height as well and i needed to adjust it.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

you dont necessarily need to be lowered to need one, like other mentioned, sometimes rears are not straight, so you need one. and if you get the double rod ended on it keeps the rear from moving left and right on turns and acc. and its basically necessary if you lower the car, so if you ever plan on doing it id say get the double adjustable/double rod ended one.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks guys for all your input. i dont think my rear is that off. but to hell with it. another $40 wont kill me.. or at least i hope lol. ill be ordering a single adj piece from speed inc soon
Old 12-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Teching In

just ordered mine today also ! with some adj lcas also !
Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
you dont necessarily need to be lowered to need one, like other mentioned, sometimes rears are not straight, so you need one. and if you get the double rod ended on it keeps the rear from moving left and right on turns and acc. and its basically necessary if you lower the car, so if you ever plan on doing it id say get the double adjustable/double rod ended one.
from what ive researched, rod ends get worn out alot faster than poly and poly ends are recommended for DD's. i still dont understand why rod ended is better though...
Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
from what ive researched, rod ends get worn out alot faster than poly and poly ends are recommended for DD's. i still dont understand why rod ended is better though...

and yes you are right about a dd, i dont dd my car but i drive it often. but i still got a double rod end because thats what came with my shocks/springs when i bought them. lol.

metal on metal has less flex then poly on metal. thats the only difference.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd go with the adjustable, if I were you. If you plan to start adding more suspension mods in the future, then a scale and square should be in your future as well. As said in previous posts, the rear end is not always perfectly centered coming straight out of the factory. It would be better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it. BMR makes great products and has great customer service. Either give them a call or call us (we are a dealer for BMR).
Old 12-23-2008, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro

Hello,

Rod ends are designed to eliminate bind and allow the panhard to move freely where as a polyurethane bushing can restrict the movement. We recommend to use a panhard with rod ends also when changing pinion angle since the road ends will allow the rear end to rotate with out putting pressure on the bushings or mounts.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 12-23-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Rod ends are designed to eliminate bind and allow the panhard to move freely where as a polyurethane bushing can restrict the movement. We recommend to use a panhard with rod ends also when changing pinion angle since the road ends will allow the rear end to rotate with out putting pressure on the bushings or mounts.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
This is essentially true, however if you have an adjustable panhard bar with the poly ends, all you have to do is loosen the locknuts on the panhard bar before you set the pinion angle. With the nuts loose, the panhard bar can "rotate" to accomodate the pinion angle change. Then MAKE SURE to tighten the locknuts back up on the panhard bar when you're done.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
This is essentially true, however if you have an adjustable panhard bar with the poly ends, all you have to do is loosen the locknuts on the panhard bar before you set the pinion angle. With the nuts loose, the panhard bar can "rotate" to accomodate the pinion angle change. Then MAKE SURE to tighten the locknuts back up on the panhard bar when you're done.
yeah thatd certainly suck!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

bringing this back up....I have a BMR double adjustable panhard bar, the bushings are shot so I ordered some from summit racing....They are energy suspension bushings that measure 1.75in diameter on the part that actually goes into the bar....my question is, they look too big. Are these the right size or did I get sent the wrong ones...they are for a 98-02 Camaro but are the sizes the same for a stock bar vs. my BMR?

Quick Reply: Panhard Bar question