Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk HP+ pads (initial review)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hawk HP+ pads (initial review)

On Saturday night I decided to install my new Rotors Online setup (Drilled and slotted front/rear rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, and axle SS lines (already had installed the caliper lines) and Super Blue fluid). Originally I had the Rotors Online setup on the front only, with Axxis extreme pads, while the rears were "stock". I had to service my rear calipers, as the slider pins were dry and full of dust! I cleaned them and added new grease. Now they slide effortlessly. I swapped the axle lines, added the super Blue fluid and bled the rear calipers. Then I moved to the front setup. I essentially did the same to my front calipers, although the slider pins were not as bad. They still had some grease and moved without effort, but better safe then sorry. I had a bitch of a time trying to undo the front passenger's bleeder screw, so I did not bleed the driver front. I will get new caliper to replace these. I am on the bedding process until Thursday afternoon, but I had the Mrs. do the initial break-in on the pads and rotors. Then I asked her to test them from 40 MPH out without coming to a complete stop. She said she was not expecting them to grab so well! The next day I tried them, holly hell! These thing grab much better and harder then my old setup. It felt like I hit a brick wall, and that was with medium pedal effort. I was not trying to stop hard at all. I can't wait until they are fully broken in so I can see what these bad boys do. Then it will be off to the Streets of Willow to put them through their paces.

My wheels will probably now look like pigpen from the peanuts gang. But if they stop great, that is all that matters to me.

Next up will be brake ducts from either behind my fog lights or through the air dam, ot my front rotors.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imagine if you had a Brembo Big Brake setup or similar.... You would not believe how they stop !

Congrats on your setup, I think its the perfect setup for Street
Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Assuming from his sig pic that he's doing autox, HP+ pads are more than enough for autox stopping power. Hell I think Sam uses HPS on his ESP car and that's with huge sticky r-comps, from reading the GM performance article that came out a few years ago. So I would think a Brembo setup would be overkill.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a great street/track setup. I put a set of slotted rotors and hawks on the front and it was a night and day difference as well. Rears are still stock. I think ill give the rear the same treatment when its time to change them. Braking even from high speed is very smooth and stiff. I dont get any Brake shudder? if you know what i mean.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I will see about making a quick video of the stopping power (inside and/or outside). I do all kinds of racing with this car: Drag Racing, Autocross and Road Racing. Hence why I did not opt to go with bigger brakes, as my drag wheels will not bolt up. The track I favor for RR is Big Willow (2.5 mile) with two straight aways that I can easily reach over 130 mph on the straights, so these brakes should help out at those speeds. I do need to be more cautious around town, as I am sure I have more braking power then most vehicles on the road. No need to be rear ended.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

12secSS
Did you get then fully broken in? I debating on getting the HP plus pads or the HPS again. Going to do a track day end of the month, wondering if worth it or just getting another set of HPS.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I have been driving them daily and they are fully broken in now. No issues at all, and they do not dust as much as people claim, and I have done some hard braking to test the grip. I will be going to the Streets fo Willow on the 7th to put them to a real test.

Quick Reply: Hawk HP+ pads (initial review)