Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

alignment/tire wear issue

Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment/tire wear issue

I've got my car lowered with eibach sportline springs and had the alignment done. They said that they got it as close to spec as they could. The outside edge of the driver's side tire has worn way down. I'm going to have to replace it. Do I have to go with a set of fully adjustable A-arms or can I get away with a set of non adjustable tubular? Some of them have -3 degree's of camber built in. Is this enough? I'm not sure I want to deal with the banging/jarring of the solid heim joint's up front but I'll deal with it if that's what it takes. I only drive it in the summer anyway. Any opinions or advise?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like they put way too much "Toe-In" into alignment! What did the shop set the "Toe" at?
IMO, You don't need more suspension parts, just a better shop to do your alignments!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure what specs it was adjusted to. The car had already been lowered and aligned when I bought it from my dad.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Teching In

I'll also just add that I was planning on upgrading the front suspension anyways since the back is already done. I'm just not sure what I want to go with.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Teching In

After I stopped and thought about it for a while I remember that my dad lowered the car and drove it for awhile with no noticeable wear. Then he put subframe connectors and a strut tower brace. Could the Strut brace have thrown out the alignment?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KBBLUEMAXX
After I stopped and thought about it for a while I remember that my dad lowered the car and drove it for awhile with no noticeable wear. Then he put subframe connectors and a strut tower brace. Could the Strut brace have thrown out the alignment?
No. Unless whoever installed it cranked it outwards as far as possible, and spread the upper shock perches apart by a couple inches, and effectively gave the car postive camber . Not likely though!

The car probably needs more of an alignment. Even without lowering the car, you should be able to get upwards of -1.0° of camber, which will reduce wear on the outside edges of the tires, and actually start to wear more on the insides. Generally speaking though, toe in/out has more of a noticable effect on tire wear.

Get the car re-aligned first, and bring back the specs to post so we can make a judgement call.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I would check the alignment. Since lowering usually increases negative camber, and you're lower than most, then you'd be approaching wearing the inside edge more than the outside. Abnormal toe angles will make the tire wear too quickly.

Search this Thread