Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C4 Rearend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 Rearend?

I was wondering if anybody has put a C4 rearend under a fourth gen F-Body? I know its common to swap them into old hotrods and such, I was just wondering if there would be any handeling bennifits to doing this, and if anybody even thinks its possible. I don't even know if the rearends are really even any good, just that they are popular for swaps & independant. I have got my flame suite on so Have at it!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a thread around here with much longer answers - I think I even chimed in at one point.

The short answer is that anything is possible. However, it would be pretty hard. You'd have to fabricate every single mounting point on the body. You'd also have to reinforce those points, as they're probably not hardened suspension points.

The benefits would be negligible, if not worse. It'll certainly be heavier in total. Most of it will be unsprung, though, so you'd imagine that it would perform better. Not really. I road race my Trans Am, and it's got the stock axle. I've spent about $1100 in modifications to my rear suspension ($80-LCAs, $120-shocks, $60-springs, $50-weight jackers, $100-panhard rod, $700-decoupled torque arm). Although I have less power and a heavier car, I routinely beat C4 Corvettes built to similar levels.

Also, my tire temps are pretty much even across the tread. This means that, even though I'm not getting much negative camber (my axle naturally has -.3*), I don't really need it.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/jay_s_94_formula
Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, Thanks for the responce. I hadn't taken into consideration that all the mounting points would need to be reinforced. I knew I would have to make all my own mounts, but haden't thought it all through. I would mainly be doing this to be able to corner better and set the car up better for a road coarse, but if there is no bennefit over the solid axel...... I probably wouln't bother looking any furthar than the set up I already have.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.zeuscatalog.com/jay_cutshaw_s_irs_swap

C4 IRS swap into a 94 Formula by my friend Jay. It's very possible but takes a lot of work.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

definately accidentally posted ^^^ that on moe's name instead of mine. haha. whooops.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MOE_TAWS6
http://www.zeuscatalog.com/jay_cutshaw_s_irs_swap

C4 IRS swap into a 94 Formula by my friend Jay. It's very possible but takes a lot of work.
Thats pretty cool, Was it worth it? Did he gain much in performance?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

To be completely honest we haven't put the car through it's paces. Obviously there is going to be a gain in having a IRS over a solid axle rear. The panhard bar in general is an interesting design but obviously not the best for suspension geometry and loading during cornering.

All in all, for what it's worth eventually I want to put a IRS in my car as well. Not only for the performance gains but simply for the rarity factor as well.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Not to change the subject, but are those flared rear fenders you got there? If they are then I gotta get me some of those and shove some 18x12 corvette wheels in the back

Quick Reply: C4 Rearend?