Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper A arm question (different one)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upper A arm question (different one)

Ok I am swapping in a umi tubular k along with lower control arms, strange double adjusable's , all while swapping engine. Car is a 97 model, and noticed that some of the suspension components are starting to show signs of wear.

While dropping out the k member today, i noticed the upper A arms ball joints, rubber portion is starting to tear. I am not trying to get a tubular upper a arm, and really wanted to just replace the ball joints on both sides. Is this even possible with these? It seems like you would have to drill out rivets.

Tie rod ends look worn, along with sway bar end links hardware. I don't want to go with too much poly as I am afraid of too harsh/ noisy ride. I am not really even sure If I will be keeping sway bar up front, being this is a occasional street/strip car.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97LT1
Ok I am swapping in a umi tubular k along with lower control arms, strange double adjusable's , all while swapping engine. Car is a 97 model, and noticed that some of the suspension components are starting to show signs of wear.

While dropping out the k member today, i noticed the upper A arms ball joints, rubber portion is starting to tear. I am not trying to get a tubular upper a arm, and really wanted to just replace the ball joints on both sides. Is this even possible with these? It seems like you would have to drill out rivets.

Tie rod ends look worn, along with sway bar end links hardware. I don't want to go with too much poly as I am afraid of too harsh/ noisy ride. I am not really even sure If I will be keeping sway bar up front, being this is a occasional street/strip car.

In order for you to replace your upper ball joints the rivets need to be removed, and replaced with a screw and bolt ball joint. You could always just replace the boot itself, but if it were me I would replace the whole ball joint.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greekey
In order for you to replace your upper ball joints the rivets need to be removed, and replaced with a screw and bolt ball joint. You could always just replace the boot itself, but if it were me I would replace the whole ball joint.
Hey thanks, do you know where to get those type parts? Do you think local stores have that?
Old 01-18-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

They might, but just as a reference, Moog Chassis parts is one of the more common brands of Suspension ball joints, steering rack parts, bushings, mounts and the such.

AFA the upper A-arm bushings, Moog replacement rubber is good, or if you may find necessary, Sam Strano sells offset Delrin bushings. I wouldn't use poly in that location due to added stiction.

AFA replacing the swaybar-to-body bushings and swaybar endlinks, poly is OKAY in those locations since the bind IS optimal for the swaybar-to-body and endlink bushings.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Exact factory replacement:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160286274059

FYI, a Die-grinder with a cut-off wheel takes the rivet heads off in no time!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok thanks for the info guys. If you grind rivets out, do the new bolts have pins or something like that?

Also McQuay-Norris brand was a maker for the gm units? How did you find that out? (ebay link)

Last edited by 97LT1; 01-19-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

lock nuts.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97LT1
...Also McQuay-Norris brand was a maker for the gm units? How did you find that out? (ebay link)
Probably, however I'm not entirely positive myself.

What I can say is if they're not listed under the McQuay-Norris brand, they're usually labeled under the "Spicer" brand (or under one of the "AffinaGroup, Inc." brands). Whilst not made by Moog, they're about the same pretty quality from my experience.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

I ordered a set, they are exactly the same as the factory upper ball joints.

Quick Reply: Upper A arm question (different one)