Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Brake Conversion Abutment Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Brake Conversion Abutment Question

Ok i searched till my eyes were sore about this....Do i need c5 caliper brackets or do i reuse the ls1 brackets. I have the conversion brackets that bolt to the spindle but i cant seem to get a definate answer on if the i need to use the c5 caliper abutments or if the ls1 ones will work......This is for a ls1 to c5 caliper/rotors conversion.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, You need to use the C5 abutment brackets with the C5 calipers.. you can't use the LS1 abutments with C5 Calipers.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello, You need to use the C5 abutment brackets with the C5 calipers.. you can't use the LS1 abutments with C5 Calipers.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Yes you can.
you can straight swap calipers but depending on the conversion brackets you are using you may need to change the abutment bracket.

what brackets do you have?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk if you can swap the abutment brackets over but you Can Not use LS1 F-body calipers on C5 rotors. theirs a pressure difference and throws off your brake bias. ebay used ot have some sets on there. if not you might be able to get some remaned calipers that come with the brackets
Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Launching!

OK so UMI says i need to use c5 abutments and some others say i may be able to use the stock ls1 abutments. I already have c5 calipers/lines and the relocation brackets..all im lost on is the abutments.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/C5-Co...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

It all depends on which C5 adaptor brackets you are using. Most of htem use a C5 abutment bracket, the one that 6Litereater is selling use the Fbody abutment.

It was incorrect for UMI to make a blanket statement unless they know that these adaptors are theirs, but then that confuses everyone else that is reading the thread.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Launching!

OK heres a pic of the brackets im going to be using...How can you tell by looking at them? I got them off ebay and it didnt specify what brackets to use with them. I dont want to spend the 100.00 on c5 abutments if i dont need to.
Attached Thumbnails C5 Brake Conversion Abutment Question-brackets.jpg  
Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fast01z28
It was incorrect for UMI to make a blanket statement unless they know that these adaptors are theirs, but then that confuses everyone else that is reading the thread.
I think are talking about 2 different things here..and I appreciate you clarifying that but maybe ask before you throw out a blunt statement like that. It was incorrect of you to excuse me of supplying false information when you did not ask how I got my answer. I tried to supply information to help the poster..

There is a difference in abutment brackets and conversion brackets... the original poster said abutment brackets. Maybe I didn't read there question right but the heading is asking about abutment brackets. Abutment brackets are what bolt to the conversion brackets... the caliper then bolts into the abutment bracket. The LS1 abutment bracket is smaller than the C5 abutment bracket. We tried to make them work in the past, you need to grind the LS1 abutment bracket to get the C5 caliper to fit but then we found uneven pad wear from this. The conversion bracket is the actual bracket you purchase to adapt C5 components to your vehicle.

So regardless of what conversion brackets you use you must use abutment brackets with them. And yes some conversion brackets allow you to use LS1 calipers and some like ours are C5 only... however if you use LS1 calipers you use LS1 abutment brackets and C5 calipers use C5 abutments.

I appears the poster did not mean abutment brackets... but it was what I got from his post the first time I read it.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Launching!

No UMI is correct.....i was asking if i needed to buy the c5 abutment to go with my c5 calipers. So for everyones future reference....IF YOU USE C5 CALIPERS YOU USE C5 ABUTMENT BRACKETS. IF YOU USE LS1 CALIPERS YOU CAN USE YOUR LS1 ABUTMENT BRACKETS.....Thanks for clearing that one up UMI....
Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 05MBMLS2
Thanks for clearing that one up UMI....
Glad I could help.. that is all I was trying to do

Ryan
Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
I think are talking about 2 different things here..and I appreciate you clarifying that but maybe ask before you throw out a blunt statement like that. It was incorrect of you to excuse me of supplying false information when you did not ask how I got my answer. I tried to supply information to help the poster..

There is a difference in abutment brackets and conversion brackets... the original poster said abutment brackets. Maybe I didn't read there question right but the heading is asking about abutment brackets. Abutment brackets are what bolt to the conversion brackets... the caliper then bolts into the abutment bracket. The LS1 abutment bracket is smaller than the C5 abutment bracket. We tried to make them work in the past, you need to grind the LS1 abutment bracket to get the C5 caliper to fit but then we found uneven pad wear from this. The conversion bracket is the actual bracket you purchase to adapt C5 components to your vehicle.

So regardless of what conversion brackets you use you must use abutment brackets with them. And yes some conversion brackets allow you to use LS1 calipers and some like ours are C5 only... however if you use LS1 calipers you use LS1 abutment brackets and C5 calipers use C5 abutments.

I appears the poster did not mean abutment brackets... but it was what I got from his post the first time I read it.

Thank you,
Ryan
sorry wrong again.

I have a C5 conversion on my car, using the FBODY ABUTMENT bracket. you might think im an idiot, but im not. I know the difference. I was teh first to develop a corvette brake conversion for a grand am, yes a grand am. I also just did the conversion on my CAMARO. There is ONE type of C5 brake adaptor kit out there that uses the FBODY Abutment with either Fbody or corvette caliper. The pad wear is normal, and it fits without ANY modifications.

I know that UMI makes a kit that uses C5 abutment brackets, but theres other sutff out there besides UMI.

That is incorrect that you need C5 abutment for C5 calipers. I can prove it with my car.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

sorry wrong again.

I have a C5 conversion on my car, using the FBODY ABUTMENT bracket. you might think im an idiot, but im not. I know the difference. I was teh first to develop a corvette brake conversion for a grand am, yes a grand am. I also just did the conversion on my CAMARO. There is ONE type of C5 brake adaptor kit out there that uses the FBODY Abutment with either Fbody or corvette caliper. The pad wear is normal, and it fits without ANY modifications.

I know that UMI makes a kit that uses C5 abutment brackets, but theres other sutff out there besides UMI.

That is incorrect that you need C5 abutment for C5 calipers. I can prove it with my car.
I never said you were idiot nor did I say anything about you... but I was correct that the customer was asking about abutment brackets not the conversion brackets. I just did not see it being very polite jumping on me trying to help a member.

Sure there is other stuff out besides UMI but what does that have to do with anything?? I never tried to sell the poster anything I just posted information to help them... correct? That's great the F-Body abutments worked for you but for us they did not so I posted our experience with them. Maybe you can use them but from what I have personally seen I would not recommend them.

Ryan
Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was also talking about abutment brackets. go back and reread what i wrote. I am trying to make sure that people dont get mislead, like what it seems has now happened to the OP.

UMI you have to remember that as a suspension parts company your word is taken as fact. IMO its more credible than just some members words (mine). when you reply stating something is cut and dry, like
you cause all kinds of confusion. First off, which abutment with which caliper is not whats in question. The question was, which abutment with which ADAPTER bracket. Also, I was simply stating that while your kit might be that way, there are others out there that work differently, and the OP didnt post which adaptor brackets he had.

Again, since you think im confused, there are some C5 conversion brackets that use C5 abutment brackets only, and there are some C5 conversion brackets that use LS1 Fbody abutment brackets only. none of them can use "one or the other". you need to find out which adapter brackets you have.

BTW, to the OP, after seeing the pic, you have what appears to be a kit that uses the C5 abutment brackets. You will also need to grind off the "ear" in order for the kit to work.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Yea i guess ill bite the bullet and spend the 100 bucks on the C5
brackets/pins/boots/bolts for the c5 stuff.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

UMI you have to remember that as a suspension parts company your word is taken as fact. IMO its more credible than just some members words (mine). when you reply stating something is cut and dry, like
From our personal experience we found the LS1 abutment bracket would NOT work with the c5 caliper. We had to grind the LS1 abutment bracket to fit the C5 Caliper. That is where my information is supplied from... if the LS1 abutment brackets works thats great! It would save you near a $100 on the upgrade... but our experience here at our shop shows they do not work together properly. Maybe we are wrong... but personal experience is what I am going by.. therefor I made a statement that I feel is the correct answer for this user.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have C5 calipers bolted to Fbody abutments,
that is my personal experience.
and i have seen others bolt C5 calipers to they`re Fbody abutments as well.

some brackets are tapped for Fbody abutments and,
other brackets you must use the C5 abutment.

Last edited by shoemike; 01-20-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05MBMLS2
Yea i guess ill bite the bullet and spend the 100 bucks on the C5
brackets/pins/boots/bolts for the c5 stuff.
There $45 each at your local GM dealer !OR Go on E bay
Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Restricted User

If your kit has 14mm bolts you need C5 abutments
LS1 abutments use 12mm bolts
Dale
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

sorry wrong again.

Can you be more of an ***? RELAX, they are were just trying to help.

Quick Reply: C5 Brake Conversion Abutment Question