Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 76LS1BIRD
If your kit has 14mm bolts you need C5 abutments
LS1 abutments use 12mm bolts
Dale
The bolt HEAD is different size, true, but the actual bolt size, thread and pitch are identical. I have both and will take a pic tomorrow to illustrate.

The only issue I've run across doing this conversion is the C5 pad would rub the F-Car abutment bracket where it arcs next to the rotor hat. The differences in the arc between the 12" F-Car rotor and the 13" C5 rotor is just enough for the C5 pad to just touch the abutment bracket.

I also seem to recall the tolerance between the F-Car abutment bracket and the thicker C5 rotor could be an issue, depending upon how much run-out the rotor has.

So there are some clearance issues when homogenizing the 2 platform's brake packages.

But, I have red Z06 calipers on my otherwise completely stock F-Car front brakes. The C5 caliper is the only change. This is my second season on them without an issue. The reason for the change was to eliminate pad taper due to caliper spread.

You can almost make out the red caliper in this shot ...
Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chavez885
Can you be more of an ***? RELAX, they are were just trying to help.
and you arent, so stay out. I was JUST TRYING TO HELP as well, so you calm down there sparky.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The F-body abutment bracket mounts to the spindle with 12mm bolts, the C5 attaches with 14mm bolts.

I have C5 calipers, C5 rotors, F-Car abutments brackets and pads and from my experience this isn't a good combo. My pad wear is not normal and I get fade I think caused by this uneven pad contact.

I am planning to purchase C5 abutments, a pair is under $90.

Just my experience,
Brian
Old 02-22-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
The F-body abutment bracket mounts to the spindle with 12mm bolts, the C5 attaches with 14mm bolts.

I have C5 calipers, C5 rotors, F-Car abutments brackets and pads and from my experience this isn't a good combo. My pad wear is not normal and I get fade I think caused by this uneven pad contact.

I am planning to purchase C5 abutments, a pair is under $90.

Just my experience,
Brian
You are correct. The bracket is different.

The caliper is a direct bolt-on, though, using the F-car abutment bracket.

Quick Reply: C5 Brake Conversion Abutment Question