Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should I get new pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Should I get new pads?

I had a bad hose that was causing my front driver inner pad to drag on the rotor. This went on for months until I finally figured out the cause and got it fixed. Thing is, it dragged long enough that it noticeably wore the rotor a little and melted the pad bad enough that it filled in the groove in the pad and left a glaze on the rotor. I was able to clean up the rotor with some really fine sandpaper and recut the groove in the pad. However, do you think the pad is OK or should I replace it? It stops fine but I'm not sure if the heat from dragging could have damaged the whole pad and potentially cause the pad to fail on me (come apart or something). Of course if I replaced it I'd do all the front pads at the same time.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I had a bad hose that was causing my front driver inner pad to drag on the rotor. This went on for months until I finally figured out the cause and got it fixed. Thing is, it dragged long enough that it noticeably wore the rotor a little and melted the pad bad enough that it filled in the groove in the pad and left a glaze on the rotor. I was able to clean up the rotor with some really fine sandpaper and recut the groove in the pad. However, do you think the pad is OK or should I replace it? It stops fine but I'm not sure if the heat from dragging could have damaged the whole pad and potentially cause the pad to fail on me (come apart or something). Of course if I replaced it I'd do all the front pads at the same time.

Thanks.
Yes, Kotex.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would replace them.