Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper advice needed!

I have a 02 z28 with 131,xxx miles on it and the calipers never been changed! The previous owner put 60k miles on the car. I recently looked into buying some replacement calipers and brakets due to the fact the ones on my z28 are old, dirty and ugly!! I called autozone and they carry a brand called Fenco. Then I called kragens and they Carry a brand called Cardone. The cardone calipers run for 83.99 each with core and w/brackets. The fenco calipers were 49.99 w/core and wo/bracket. The brackets alone were 42.99. I never heard of these brands! Any input on these brands would be helpfull. And also if I were to keep the calipers I have now how easy is it to paint the calipers?? How much to get them powder coated?? Or rebuilt?? Sorry for the long post!! Thanks everyone!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

Myself and colleges avoid Auto-Zone reman parts based on poor experiences, never heard of Fenco but sounds like Fernco which is an expensive Euro brakes company. With Cardone it's about a 10% problem rate. Napa is good but pricey. Usually you only need brackets if yours have stripped threads. You might look into finding some as a kit from a powder coater already painted and rebuilt and just swap them out for one bill, trip, job. Seems like I've seen them advertised, might have been on Ebay or from a vendors page.

Vernon
Old 01-23-2009, 07:04 AM
12 Second Club

Used Cardone on many a vehicle with no issues. Fernco makes plumbing hardware.. I had their 'smooth bellows' LOLOLOL.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I personally have had an issue with the autozone remans. I put a set on the front of my Camaro last winter and afterwards, the peddle felt very spongy. I though maybe it was just me, I even drove another Camaro which was just as mushy. However after a couple of autocross events, the peddle feel kept getting worse and worse. I new it wasn't the hubs because I was monitoring the play, and it wasn't excessive. Then at a Test and Tune I almost put it into a curb because the brakes were just gone!

My investigation revealed that the calipers were flexing excessively under load, which was evident by some sever pad tapper. I put my original calipers back on, with some new pads and never had a problem again for the rest of the season. Bottom line, only buy new calipers from GM, don't waste your time or money on remans because it just may cost you your life.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can take care of it. $205 including return shipping and I will take them apart, media blast, powder coat colors of your choice, and re assemble. For full GM rebuilds(boots, seals, bolts, etc) its an extra $100.

Be like new and look great when you get them back. PM me if you are interested, thanks! I do also own two sets that I used for core exchanges but I am not sure I'd want cores back with that many miles like yours, would rather just revive yours for you.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the responses!! I really appreciate it!!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:49 AM
12 Second Club

i'm about 80% positive that fenco and cardone or A1 are the same brand. could be wrong though.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

also check on "loaded" calipers alot of parts guys will over look these and alot of times are cheaper and also come with brake pads if bought at the AZ it should be lifetime w/ a wear down warrenty.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
i'm about 80% positive that fenco and cardone or A1 are the same brand. could be wrong though.
I doubt it only because the prices were different! But Im not sure
Old 01-24-2009, 02:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
also check on "loaded" calipers alot of parts guys will over look these and alot of times are cheaper and also come with brake pads if bought at the AZ it should be lifetime w/ a wear down warrenty.
I checked that out and it is cheaper!! I really want to get hawk hps pads this time around!! I've heard nothing but good reviews about hawk pads!! But the loaded packgage is a good deal!!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
I personally have had an issue with the autozone remans. I put a set on the front of my Camaro last winter and afterwards, the peddle felt very spongy. I though maybe it was just me, I even drove another Camaro which was just as mushy. However after a couple of autocross events, the peddle feel kept getting worse and worse. I new it wasn't the hubs because I was monitoring the play, and it wasn't excessive. Then at a Test and Tune I almost put it into a curb because the brakes were just gone!

My investigation revealed that the calipers were flexing excessively under load, which was evident by some sever pad tapper. I put my original calipers back on, with some new pads and never had a problem again for the rest of the season. Bottom line, only buy new calipers from GM, don't waste your time or money on remans because it just may cost you your life.
What's a good site to get GM calipers?? basically ac delco
Old 01-24-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gmpartsdirect
Old 01-24-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe a good time for a C5 conversion? You can get the red ZO6 calipers as well: http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2028
Old 01-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Maybe a good time for a C5 conversion? You can get the red ZO6 calipers as well: http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2028
I was thinking about getting that kit! Dont know yet
Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Pm sent

Quick Reply: Caliper advice needed!