Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Shocks only

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Shocks only

I tried searching but couldn't find what I was looking for. Is it OK to have Koni SA's on the front only and have stockers on the back? I want to lower my car with the stock springs using the lower perch on the Koni's and the heater hose mod in the rear, but I can't swing rear shocks too right now. So would it be OK? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the term "OK" is subjective. what may be "OK" to you may not be "OK" for someone else.

that said, the stock shocks don't have the damping to properly control the stock springs, much less lowering springs. will it work? yes. will it work well? probably not.

it won't really "hurt" anything physically to use the stock shocks on rear lowering springs, per se, but i think if you do lower it on the stockers, it will light a fire under your *** to replace them with some Koni's in the rear as well.

but they should work long enough for you to save the money for the Koni's, assuming they're not already thrashed.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

OK I think you miss under stood. I want to stay with STOCK springs and shocks in the rear and STOCK springs with KONI shocks in the front. I want to do the heater hose mod in the rear and use the lower perch on the koni's in the front to lower the car 1/2"-3/4". I want to know if having koni's in the front and stock shocks in the rear with stock springs all the way around is going to hurt anything or through my handling off. Thanks.

Last edited by CayenneRedV6; 01-24-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

No, it's not going to cause any big problems or anything like that. But you'll have nice, taut, fresh, new shocks up front and 10 year old (less than ideal even when new) shocks in back. So your suspension won't be very balanced.

You might be able to swing a pair of (Strano spec) Bilsteins for the rear, or even cheaper, Tokicos ... and either one would be a big improvement over the old stockers.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Thats a good idea thanks. I'll look into maybe getting some cheaper ones for the rear to help balance it out better.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
OK I think you miss under stood. I want to stay with STOCK springs and shocks in the rear and STOCK springs with KONI shocks in the front. I want to do the heater hose mod in the rear and use the lower perch on the koni's in the front to lower the car 1/2"-3/4". I want to know if having koni's in the front and stock shocks in the rear with stock springs all the way around is going to hurt anything or through my handling off. Thanks.
if you do the heater hose mod in the rear, you're still lowering the car, regardless of whether it's being lowered because the springs are shorter, or because the rubber isolator has been removed....the end result is the same: less shock travel.

anyway, like i said, you can use the stock rear shocks for a while until you can afford some adjustables, but with the rear being lowered (usually 5/8" - 3/4" when doing the hose mod), the stock shocks are going to wear out quicker.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Stockers suck and without a doubt aren't doing much right now. When you have them out try pushing and pulling on them and see compared to new. I tried something similar to what you want to do and it felt like it banana'd over dips in the road.