Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Improve my ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009 | 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Default Improve my ride quality

I am dealing with mistakes of the past (poor research and planning) and can't really remedy it at this point, but I thought there might be some suggestions to at least make the best of things for now.

My current setup is Koni SA up front set about 8 sweeps from full-soft, Bilstein HD (3rd gens) out back, and BMR lowering springs. The ride quality is pretty poor, especially frome the rear. I'm assuming it's a spring rate issue. I daily drive the car, and that's all. I'd just like a more comfortable ride...any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2009 | 02:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

First, tire pressure, front tires 32psi , rear tires30psi . If that doesn't help
then, Soften up the front shocks 2-3 sweeps ,and get some koni SAs for the rear. Also if your car has rear bumpstop spacers remove them.
Old 02-04-2009 | 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
First, tire pressure, front tires 32psi , rear tires30psi . If that doesn't help
then, Soften up the front shocks 2-3 sweeps ,and get some koni SAs for the rear. Also if your car has rear bumpstop spacers remove them.
What he said... ^

Not sure how the 3rd gen Bilstiens are valved or if they were meant for lowering springs.

If you are on the SS/WS6 square ended bumpstops with the spacer, I've heard you can soften up the ride quite a bit swapping to the softer progressive triangular shaped bumpstops with no spacer. It makes sense from looking at them. Never personally tested out the difference on exact same setup.
Old 02-04-2009 | 10:21 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

I agree with the above two guys and will add: your Bilsteins are NOT for lowering springs, that is your primary problem.

Lower tire pressure (30-32 PSI cold)
Get Konis in the rear
Soften the front shock adjustment a bit (2-3 sweeps on a guess)

See how that does. If you're still not happy, you may need to forego the slammed look and go back to stock springs or get Strano's, if it's in the budget. Strano units look good though not quite as low as BMR.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2009 | 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

The front really isn't a problem. It's firm, but not harsh. The back is the biggest problem. The only way I can really put it into words is by saying "bouncy" not necessarily harsh.

I already run tire pressures close to that. I might check the bumpstop/spacer.

Strano springs are lower than BMRs (1" drop).
Old 02-04-2009 | 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZaneO
The front really isn't a problem. It's firm, but not harsh. The back is the biggest problem. The only way I can really put it into words is by saying "bouncy" not necessarily harsh.

Bouncy usually means lack of rebound dampening. Probably time for better rear shocks.
Old 02-04-2009 | 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd buy some konis for the rear to fix your problem. The Bilstiens you have probably are worn and/or never meant for your springrate.

I'd still turn down the front a click or two to try it.
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:11 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I agree with the above two guys and will add: your Bilsteins are NOT for lowering springs, that is your primary problem.
^^^^^^^
Old 02-05-2009 | 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

So the front is no problem? I mean clearly you don't mind firm damping because you are damned near full stiff (much more than I run).

Your rear springs are about 12% stiffer than what I run, and the shocks aren't meant for that sort of rate. Stiffer springs and shocks that don't match it well is sort of a prescription for something you might not like.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-13-2009 | 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
So the front is no problem? I mean clearly you don't mind firm damping because you are damned near full stiff (much more than I run).
Well, unless I counted incorrectly, I got 12 full sweeps from full-soft to full-hard. And I have them just a touch over half. I should probably re-check/count sometime to verify.

But yes, I hate my springs, and probably have inadequate rears. Just thought there might be some sort of temporary band-aid until I can properly fix the problem.
Old 02-13-2009 | 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, unless I counted incorrectly, I got 12 full sweeps from full-soft to full-hard. And I have them just a touch over half. I should probably re-check/count sometime to verify.

But yes, I hate my springs, and probably have inadequate rears. Just thought there might be some sort of temporary band-aid until I can properly fix the problem.
I think the front 4th gen Koni has 10?? Been a while since I played with the settings. In that case you would actually be at 4/5 stiff rather than 1/2 like you think. The Konis at full stiff or full soft should stop turning once you get there.
Old 02-13-2009 | 12:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Older versions had 12 sweeps, a redesign a few years ago (at least 3) left them with 8. Same overall range, just less minute adjustment range.

His complaint is more stemming from the rear and that well could be a combination of the springs which are IMHO stiffer than they need to be and the shocks that aren't 100% happy with the roughly 35% increase in spring rate vs. stock.

My hunch it's more the shocks than the springs, but I think it's obvious that softeng the rate some would help make the axle more supple over bumps. Koni's would damp the mass and rate better period, regardless of what springs.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-14-2009 | 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, my Koni's are probably 4 years old. I was pretty sure there were 12 full sweeps, so I should be right about 2/3 full hard.

I guess my suspicions have been reinforced. Thanks for the help, guys.

Quick Reply: Improve my ride quality