Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Constant Squealing noise after Brake/Wheel bearing install..Help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Constant Squealing noise after Brake/Wheel bearing install..Help please

Ok ik now this isn't for my LS1 car but the setup is the same and it's driving me carzy...Somebody please read some of this and give your thoughts of what going on here....
94 corvette coupe STD
Man..This has been a nightmare...Ok..I replaced My front 2 wheel bearings with some cheap a1 wheel hubs off from ebay (sorry didn't feel like paying $600 a hub a little ridiculous if you ask me) 4 new oem cross drilled rotors and semi-metalialic pads...Right after I had a constant squeak/ loud squeal..So I replaced the all four pads with ceramic aekebono pads....The noise went away untill the car/ the wheels heated up..Then the nosie comes back...I've done everything I can think of...I've taken the cailpers aprt and luped all the hardware..checked all the back plates, I put on GM rotors on the front last week to see if the would help help..(NOPE)...I've taken it too 2 different brake shops and both brake shps are telling me me my brakes are fine......SO..This leads me to believe a have a bad bearing inside the wheel hub even though there is no play in the wheel....BUT the noise does go away if you turn the wheel hard to the left...MAYBE IT JUST DIDN"T GET PACKED RIGHT?? This has been going on for about 2 months now and i'm going crazy....I'm tired of working on my brakes...They work fine..BTW..THE NOISE GOES AWAY WHEN YOU HIT THE BRAKES..PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ON THIS SUBJECT PLEASE CHIME IN.. But to save you some time it's not a rock wedge in somehere, i've checked, it's not because of anti-squel, or cheap brake parts, or not having them looked at by more then one pro...or time to seat or bed in...I've tried it it all..lol..This sucks

BTW-The noise is coming from the drivers side front wheel..Only happens after 15 minutes of driving after it heats up..Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

It's probably the hub then. If you still have the old ones you could swap it back on and see if the noise goes away, if you don't have them you could swap sides and see if the noise goes away or swaps sides.

It does suck when somethings overpriced and the alternative is a waste of time piece of crap. I'm just about over trying to help my customers save money and kicking myself in the *** all at the same time.

Vernon
Old 02-05-2009, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

I've been fighting a similar problem on a daily driver Honda. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's in the pads and/or calipers causing the problem. Mine also begin to constantly squeal after 15 or 20 miles and it started right after the last pad change. I have knocked the pads back once the squealing is constant and it always goes away until I go around a curve and the caliper works its way back over to let the pad rub the rotor again. My next step is to junk the ceramic pads and go back with a set of organics to stop the squeal... I hope.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

did you change the pad abutment shims? its probably them. theyre the little shiny pieces of metal that go between the pad/caliper and the caliper bracket. when i first did my brakes, i had squeal from them, until they wore down enough.

Quick Reply: Constant Squealing noise after Brake/Wheel bearing install..Help please