Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help getting a new suspension....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help getting a new suspension....

I am planning on going with a full suspension set up with one of the following vendors. I would like to know your personal experience with each, including issues like binding, using poly ends vs. rod ends, customer service...etc. how have these parts help/started issues.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Good luck. Thats taken me a lot of research and time. Personally I like stranoparts because I autox.. Sam Strano's an SCCA multi national champion... the shipping is quick, cheap, and nearby my location... you get great advice from Sam... customer service is great. His business is not big, but I like that because you can be more personable with smaller businesses. It's definitely popular though. You might have to wait some time to get certain parts like his custom springs, certain shocks, or swaybars at times but I would sure wait for these parts if I wanted them.

I would start doing a search though on certain things. Sounds like you have a wide domain that you want to learn about. Whatever you do, please don't just buy a ton of parts without really figuring out what they do. Figure out what you want to do with your car, and improve the weaknesses of the car to your preference. You may find out that you don't need as much as you realize for the suspension. Dispite a few weaknesses, the 4th gen fbody is one incredible car out of the box.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Regular

I would like to hear some preference on issues, why did you choose ?? vs. ??... etc, on the different manufacturer's . BMR, UMI, Spohn... etc. when the time comes to purchase Ill know what to get or stay away from.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Here a few ideas!

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
I would like to hear some preference on issues, why did you choose ?? vs. ??... etc, on the different manufacturer's . BMR, UMI, Spohn... etc. when the time comes to purchase Ill know what to get or stay away from.
Hello,
Another few ideas and questions to keep in mind when asking around! Ask about Quality of the product and Durability!! If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help.
Thanks Again,
Brad
Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Hey man i went with spohn cross member and torque arm with driveshaft loop with rod ends. I just ordered some umi lower control arms adjustable with rod ends.( the spohn were on back order and i figured how in the hell can you screw up a steel rod with ends on it). I had lakewood 21700 lift bars before . They were nothing more that a waste of time and money. I am using competition engeneering sub frame cons. I chose them becaude of the areas where they connect makes the frame more sturdy than other sfc. The shocks and struts i am using are kyb agx. They are adjustable where you can prep for street or strip. The springs i have is eibach 2" lowering i also have 2" lowering spindles. I wanted to have everything adjustable so that i can dial in the suspension to launch straight.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

So you mix your suspension setup, how is that working for you?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Teching In

seems to be working great the sfc's seemed to be the best at the time based on how to install them and the amount of connecting points. the lca's are umi and i got those because spohn was on back order so i got the umi for the same price. they are made of the same material and have the same ends so the onlt differance is the name. and the torque arm and cross member sre spohn so obviously they are the ****.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

have you had any issues with anything
Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Teching In

No like i said that when i used the c/e sfc's i had to cut a section of the floor out to run exhaust. but i could have got around that if i was not so **** on how i wanted my exhaust. it also helps that i do all the welding work myself.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
have you had any issues with anything
You gotta start researching honestly. One could write a novel on the domain of fbody suspension. I've had issues with some things... what specifically are you interested in?

Here's where I would start... stock shocks are pretty damn weak on our cars. Look up shocks. Koni's are probably the most popular shock around here. They are a little more money than Bilstiens and KYB's but they will provide good enough damping for almost any spring package available for this car.

Before going and buying the huge suspension package, I would research what each part is supposed to do, or at least understand its pro's and con's. Most parts have their benefits and also drawbacks. Most of the stock suspension works really well for what its meant for.