Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I am getting sooo fed up

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I am getting sooo fed up

well, which problem should i start with first?

I don't know if this is common, but i notice now that my car makes a lot of creeking/croaking kinda noise when going over bumpy or uneven surfaces. it sounds like squeaky furniture. Could there be something wrong with my chassis or anything? I posted earlier about the bad bumping when i accelerate hard and my car looses traction. Before it spinned wheels easily with the same style driving. It also vibrates a lot now when coasting along at about 55-60mph.

Now for the not starting stuff... i'm thinking this is an alternator problem. I put my key in the ignition, put the clutch down, it goes to the run position, all of the lights illuminate, but it wont start. It wont even get the starter going. But then after i say "ohhh sh*t" it starts. Now, i notice it has the check gauges light comes on, and my batter charge is really low for maybe 7 secs, then it jumps all the way to the right, then after a few seconds it returns back to the 13-14 volt range. this sounds like the alternator draining and charging after start-up. could it be the cold?

Phew... fingers on fire... thanks for any help.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're username suggests the car is an LT1? I assume that is true. I have had a lot of experience with them and I would almost bet the clunking under hard acceleration is the transmission mount. As far as the squeaking goes it could be a number of things. Do you have aftermarket suspension parts, tons of miles, etc.? Put a signature on your posts so we know what you're running.

As for the not starting thing my money is on a VATS issue. If you search around you'll find how to bypass it. Not sure about the crazy alt. needle issue but you could also have an alt issue as well. I kinda doubt it though. Usually it's all or nothing with an alternator. Try putting a battery charger on it before you start it to guarantee you have 14v going to it and see if it will bust off.

Also if you think it's a charging related issue test the battery to rule it out.

Like I said I still think it's a VATS issue. You might try posting this over in the maintenance and repair section. Let us know.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm sorry. i have a 2000 Z28 i should reqlly create a sig
Old 02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

or you could have told us what you have suspension wise on the car, so we can help you.

not trying to be a dick.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i have no suspension mods done its all stock. i do have an ory. the tranny mount sounds reasonable being that they have beem replaced twice.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm geussing your not as fed up as you mentioned above. We really can't offer much help if you dont fill in the gaps.

The squeaks could be the rubber exhaust mounts since you mentioned the ORY.

How many miles? The suspension could be just wore out or dry rought in the bushing department? Try some WD-40 in the places you think it's squeaking. It's not a fix for the problem but if it stops the squeaks temporarily, you'll know what needs to be fixed.

Quick Reply: I am getting sooo fed up