Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake fade and vibration at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fade and vibration at high speed

I recently went drag racing again, has been a while, finally got new clutch. Top end was a little scary when brakes applied had vibration and poor stopping, I had to pump the brakes.
I usually run with stock 17" ss wheels but did not have good tires on them, so I ran with my street wheels GM ZO6 wheels with a 305/35 18 nitto DR in the rear. I know these rear wheels/tires are about 10lbs heavier than stock and require a 5/16" spacer.
Would the larger wheels and tires cause this? Is it an ABS issue?
I think one of my rotors is warped, but never had any brake fade problems with the stock wheels and tires, just a slight vibration.
I'm currently running stock original brakes, only 23,000 miles on car. I'm looking to upgrade the rotors and pads since PBIR opened the new road course. Any suggestions? C5 conversion?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its no secret the stock brakes are weak, and your's are probably warped. You may not have to go all out and buy a brake kit, many are very happy with brembo blank rotors and hawk hp pads for street and track duty. And if you are planning on driving the car on a road course I wouldn't even want to be near one without ditching the crappy stock shocks. It will not be a very pleasant experience with the lack of control and feel they give you.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

I guess my 8 year old stock brakes weakness is more noticable with the larger heavier wheels.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you need some new rotors and good pads. Don't bother turning the stock rotors because they will just warp again. Ask me how I know, lol. Good pads, like Hawks, are much more fade resistant. I currently have HPS pads but may go to HP+ for the track as they were fading a little at my last road coarse outing.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I will be calling Sam Strano soon for new rotors and pads as well as springs and shocks. Time to upgrade for a better handling and safer car.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the same issue, ill be swapping to brembo blanks soon.

Quick Reply: Brake fade and vibration at high speed