Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

NEED info-pinion offset 9 in cutdown

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED info-pinion offset 9 in cutdown

cutting down 9 in for chev nova after backhalfing, we centered the pinion with center of car , when ordering axels were informed the right side tube(pinion offset) needs to be 1 in shorter on pass than driver side NOW the question as to centering the pinion should it be exact center of car, when chking it appares the trans is offst about 1 in to right, is this correct ? I chk my car ( y2k ss) it looks both trans and rear are both offst 1 in to right ?
Please need all info possible
any links to info on shorting 9 in houseing
Thanks for any and all info
Please, Johnny
Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are backwards the left side axle is always shorter than the right. The pinion should be in the center of the car. No offset to your trans.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

drop plumb bobs off the rockers/frame rails and measure to the center of the tailshaft and crank. this will tell you the offset of the driveline neede for pinion location. most GM cars used a 1/2 inch or so offset to the passenger side. the 9 inch rearend will always have a axle that is shorter on the drivers side(a couple factory Ford older vehicles had such a offset that the axles were the same). 82-02 f-bodys use a .520" offest.

using a stock stamped type ford housing will result in the housing appearing to be offset to the drivers side. this is normal when doing a back-half on most cars. the fabricated 9 inch rearends i designed have different offsets built into the faceplate so that the housing is centered in the car.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Thank you I think I understand
Johnny

Quick Reply: NEED info-pinion offset 9 in cutdown