Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

exhaust bumps umi tunnel mounted TA

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default exhaust bumps umi tunnel mounted TA

i have full american racing headers and y-pipe and it slightly rubs on my umi tunnel mounted torque arm. the ARH y-pipe merges very close to the torque arm so it is a snug fit. it will fit fine. but once the car warms up everything sags a little more i guess (bushings warm up and become more flexible). i need like a rubber bump stop to sit right on the crossbrace of the TA. however, i will only be able to use one that is 1/4-1/2" tall. does anyone make something like this?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my BMR did the same so i moved the bar up one more set of holes on the trans crosmember
Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

from how it sounds you may have an aftermarket crossmember. i have the stock crossmember and a tunnel mounted torque arm. i don't see how i could adjust anything.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can try a piece of heat proof rubber and wrap it around the exhaust or crossmember where it is hitting. The rubber will absorb the road noise. My one Mustang had a similar issue in the rear on the gas tank. I took a piece of rubber and fitted it around the pipe... I then put two holes in it and used gromets on the holes. I wrapped the rubber around the exhaust pipe and bolted it together so it would stay.. it was a riggin' but it worked good for me. You can get heat proof rubber from www.mcmaster.com

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
my BMR did the same so i moved the bar up one more set of holes on the trans crosmember

That's one of the advantages of having a full length arm w/relocation mount versus a floor pan mounted torque arm....
Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a feeling i would have went with a full length torque arm if i knew ahead of time they were going to be quieter and would have more options for the install. thanks for the responses. i will probably get some of that rubber and see how it works.

Quick Reply: exhaust bumps umi tunnel mounted TA