Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

twin caliper rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default twin caliper rear brakes

Any of you guys running rear twin calipers. Sense the new convertor, i was considering going to this set up to help bring the car up on the foot brake. If you run wilwood rears singles or doubles how do perform against the stock ones. thanks Phil
Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
8 Second Club

Back to the top
Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i havent looked at wilwood's stuff in a while but most twin caliper setups are only for track use. they're not supposed to be used on the street because the rotors are much thinner than normal street rotors and very likely to warp under normal driving conditions. secondly, twin calipers would be even more likely to warp given that they're receiveing twice as much heat infput.

i'm not saying that it's impossbile, but you're probably better off going with a really good set of pads, brembo rotors and Stainless brake lines. you may also want to consider (i'm throwing this idea around too) a new master cylinder, aparently the difference is night and day compared to an old leaky master cylinder like most of these 10-year-old tubs have by now.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pmbmax
Any of you guys running rear twin calipers. Sense the new convertor, i was considering going to this set up to help bring the car up on the foot brake. If you run wilwood rears singles or doubles how do perform against the stock ones. thanks Phil

Hey Phil, There is no comparison when trying to build boost on the line they are WAY better.......I'd do the Strange units but the Aerospace seem to work fine
Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS101
i havent looked at wilwood's stuff in a while but most twin caliper setups are only for track use. they're not supposed to be used on the street because the rotors are much thinner than normal street rotors and very likely to warp under normal driving conditions. secondly, twin calipers would be even more likely to warp given that they're receiveing twice as much heat infput.

i'm not saying that it's impossbile, but you're probably better off going with a really good set of pads, brembo rotors and Stainless brake lines. you may also want to consider (i'm throwing this idea around too) a new master cylinder, aparently the difference is night and day compared to an old leaky master cylinder like most of these 10-year-old tubs have by now.
new master, like from gm or aftermarket?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gm...there was a recent thread about this somewhere, if not here then in the general maintainence section.

the diaphram and seals in the master can leak and bleed off break pressure, the older the car gets the worse the leaks are the more pronounced the pressure loss is. because its such agradual process its one of those things that you never really notice until you replace the thing tho.

Quick Reply: twin caliper rear brakes