Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake line c-clips

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default brake line c-clips

I have Earl's stainless lines, and either they don't use a c-clip or the c-clips weren't re-installed at some point. I'm having a long pedal so the next thing I was going to try replacing are th elines. But we get the car on the lift and see that the car doesn't have any c-clips in use, and the new line kit uses them. One theory is that if I don't have them now, maybe I don't need them for the new kit either. But the shop recommended using them so it won't seep or worse.

I can't seem to find these c-clips new anywhere. Outside of buying a new line kit from the dealer or going to a u-pull-it shop, are there any options to locating a full set of c-clips to replace brake lines?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Earls have a threaded nut on the hardline side. You take it off the line. Push the Earl line through the hole where the clip would go. The nut crimped to the stainless line goes on the caliper side. Then you use the nut to tighten the line up, on the hardline side. No c-clips are needed.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Junkie

The local Caddy dealer had the rear clips. The brake diagram in the parts manual appears to say I need one at each rear caliper, and two in the rear center, so I bought 4 of P/N 2255667. The front part, 10254581, is discontinued. They might be able to order it from a place in Wisconsin which buys old GM parts stock, but it might be a week or more before it arrives.

I spoke with Thunder Racing and they advised they toss the clips when replacing lines.

Are the Earl's advertised as DOT replacement lines? If so, how do they get around not needing the clips? Or maybe DOT doesn't necessarily mean it needs to use the exact same mounting hardware?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set of SS brake lines from sam strano and mine didn't come w/ c clips either. The set is also DOT.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just replaced my lines and did not see the need for the c-clips...the lines seem light enough to hold themselves up... I got my lines from burkhart>>> so they may be slightly different.
Looking at the c- clips with the stock lines in them makes me wonder how I would get them apart in the first place to reuse the clip if need be...
Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bene
I bought a set of SS brake lines from sam strano and mine didn't come w/ c clips either. The set is also DOT.
What brand? Do you mean you didn't use c-clips when installing your lines, or just that they weren't included?

Supposedly the clips can be removed/installed with pliers.

Quick Reply: brake line c-clips