Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Interesting....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLSS
I hope you're not implying that he was tired of talking to me and not making a sale... because he barely remembered who I was because it had been a month and a year since I spoke with him on the other 2 occassions.
1. I mean what I type. Nothing implied.

2. I speak for myself. Nobody else.

3. If you've not made a purchase from him, you're a "potential" customer, not a "paying" customer.

You should ask yourself now what's the purpose in this thread?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, is a paying customer not allowed to ask WHY he made the recommendation?

I mean, since he is full of knowledge and he's spent so much time helping you through your setup why would he not be willing to further explain why one product is better suited than the other?

You have confirmed it all for me. Thanks for asking questions.
Seriously man, we all know what we think we want, you apparently wanted Brembo rotors and ceramic pads. And it's human nature for us to want to believe we had the right idea. So when someone like Sam doesn't agree with us, we feel I don't know, maybe a little inferior.

So you asked about Ceramic Brakes after Sam already determined you didn't need them. To you it seemd like an obvious question, but to him it probably felt like you were questioning his judgment which is probably why he said in the above post "I wait for the guy to "hang himself" and then correct him."

Honestly, I don't know why ceramic would be good or bad for a given situation, so that's why I search these boards. Sam spends an incredible amount of time talkng with his customers, more than any other provider I know of.

I guess in the end, you can chose a to talk to a SCCA Champion who happens to sell car parts or you can talk to a car parts dealer who happens to drive a car. Your call really, but I'll gladly stick with the former.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

One more thing - it's a bad idea to try and determine someone's state of mind... because more often than not, you're wrong.
Please do not bring psychology into this. From what you've typed so far, you would benefit more by telling yourself that than telling it to others.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I've probably talked with Sam on the phone 2-3 times over the years, and I've found him to be very knowledgeable. The last time we talked, we spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out if SA konis or revalved Bilsteins were better for my application. At the end of the phone call, I felt good about my purchase and wouldn't hesitate (and haven't) to consult with Sam about my car. The only thing he tried to do was sell me on his sway bars (I'm running the older 35mm solid front bar, and 1le 21mm solid rear bar); but I can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck (and his bars are lighter, anyway).

Maybe you got him on a bad day, maybe I have a thicker skin, I don't know. I know some people find Sam abrasive, but I can't say that I have ever had a problem with him.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Sam,

I like what you're doing with the sport. I think you have forgotten more about this stuff than most of us know (and sometimes you struggle with speaking in layman terms to us subordinates).

And I appreciate the information you share.

But when I call you and I hear you sigh on the phone when I ask just a couple of quick questions, then after every answer I give you you spin it around and ask me a question that I can't answer it gets a little out of hand... take it for what it's worth... I'm just a guy with money to spend and I want the best for my application that I can afford.

Thanks

The sigh is just something I do when I'm thinking of how I'm going to phrase things. Now the way I talk upsets you...

Frankly, I know I can't be all things to all people. But when you ask open ended questions like "what about Ceramics"? Well, what about them?????? Do you think I can read you mind? What's more is I already recommended HPS's had I thought Ceramics are better I'd have recommended those. Based on what you told me, I made my best recommendation to you.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-02-2009, 02:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I've had a long conversation with Sam as well... he's long winded...

I don't expect to have my *** kissed by anyone in this hobby. God knows it's full of egos. But I do deserve to be treated with respect. And if Sam is having a bad day and doesn't want to talk to the general public then he needs to let it go to voicemail. But again, I've talked to him on a few occasions and I just had enough of his attitude today... hence the reason for him writing this thread.

And from the guys in my neck of the woods the general consensus is that Sam is a jerk on the phone... because I called and asked them if they had ever deal with Sam...

And by the way, Steve at Monster Clutches spoke with me for an hour about the design of his clutch... SUPER great guy...
And I wonder if anyone has ever thought that Steve wasn't all sunshine and flowers...

I'm long winded? So now I'm in trouble with you because I spent too much time trying to explain things to you? Hmm, if you stayed on the phone with me I must be a real *******.. I wonder why you did, were you learning something?

If you think I'm a jerk, I suggest you look in the mirror. I spend a TON of my life talking to people, for free no less. Seemingly I did this for you as well. You go nuts because I sighed in thinking about wording, and *I'M* having a bad day. Oooookkk.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
1. I mean what I type. Nothing implied.

2. I speak for myself. Nobody else.

3. If you've not made a purchase from him, you're a "potential" customer, not a "paying" customer.

You should ask yourself now what's the purpose in this thread?
I didn't create the thread.

I had cash in hand to spend today. I was ready/willing/able to become a paying customer. I just had a few questions and wanted him to enlighten me, not chastise me.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01badz28
I've probably talked with Sam on the phone 2-3 times over the years, and I've found him to be very knowledgeable. The last time we talked, we spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out if SA konis or revalved Bilsteins were better for my application. At the end of the phone call, I felt good about my purchase and wouldn't hesitate (and haven't) to consult with Sam about my car. The only thing he tried to do was sell me on his sway bars (I'm running the older 35mm solid front bar, and 1le 21mm solid rear bar); but I can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck (and his bars are lighter, anyway).

Maybe you got him on a bad day, maybe I have a thicker skin, I don't know. I know some people find Sam abrasive, but I can't say that I have ever had a problem with him.
FWIW, I'm sure that in discussing bars I qualified my statement. Solid bars in 35/21 are great balance wise, just heavy--about 20 pounds more the hollow bars and would only recommend changing what you have for new if your were interested in dropping 20 pounds form the car overall, some of which is unsprung weight.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The sigh is just something I do when I'm thinking of how I'm going to phrase things. Now the way I talk upsets you...
So let me get this straight - you sigh, then chastise... I get it now. Thanks.

Frankly, I know I can't be all things to all people. But when you ask open ended questions like "what about Ceramics"? Well, what about them?????? Do you think I can read you mind? What's more is I already recommended HPS's had I thought Ceramics are better I'd have recommended those. Based on what you told me, I made my best recommendation to you.
My question was opened ended somewhat because last time we talked you recommended ceramics... so I was a little confused. Heaven forbid that I don't write down all my questions and recite them to you in order.

Bottom line is (and you continue to prove this in your post now and not just on the phone) that you're a prima donna.

Let me tell you this Sam - I don't care what your accomplishments are. You road race. I don't. I simply was thinking about spending money with you because you have a decent product (from what I've read).

I'll do you a favor and I won't call again. I told you that this morning, but you thought you'd make a post about it for some reason... maybe your conscious got the best of you and you knew you were a little harsh to a guy that just wanted to give you money.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I didn't create the thread.

I had cash in hand to spend today. I was ready/willing/able to become a paying customer. I just had a few questions and wanted him to enlighten me, not chastise me.
****I DIDN'T CHASTISE YOU**** You *think* I chastised you because I sighed and then had the nerve to think something different than you do. Now here's a sigh of frustration, where it wasn't before.

This economy stinks. And I'm sorry I lost you sale because in your mind I did a bunch of terrible things. But honestly, some customers aren't worth it.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, I'm sure that in discussing bars I qualified my statement. Solid bars in 35/21 are great balance wise, just heavy--about 20 pounds more the hollow bars and would only recommend changing what you have for new if your were interested in dropping 20 pounds form the car overall, some of which is unsprung weight.
Oh, absolutely. At some point, I'll hit you up for those bars - I've just got bigger fish to fry (like putting a new motor in my car) before I come a knocking.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This has to be the funniest thread on tech right now... sounds like some of you need to put the car parts down and get your nails done, while your at it get your toes done to! then you should go shoe shopping! jeesh
Old 03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

****I DIDN'T CHASTISE YOU**** You *think* I chastised you because I sighed and then had the nerve to think something different than you do. Now here's a sigh of frustration, where it wasn't before.

This economy stinks. And I'm sorry I lost you sale because in your mind I did a bunch of terrible things. But honestly, some customers aren't worth it.
You need to calm down man.

I was calling you for your advice so why would I get my feelings hurt if you gave it to me? I have NO idea what pads or rotors I should buy, that's why I called you was for your advice!

How dare I ask why you recommend one over another?!

I've never been talked down to by someone trying to sell me something. That's a bad tactic you've got there Sam.

You're a prima donna. That's it.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to calm down man.

I was calling you for your advice so why would I get my feelings hurt if you gave it to me? I have NO idea what pads or rotors I should buy, that's why I called you was for your advice!
I guess if I really had to pin down a choice, I'd go with:

ATE PremiumOne and HPS.

Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

33 posts, that's enough.