Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Interesting....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Interesting....

I want to address something that just happened.

I was hung up on, apparently because I'm not helpful. Never mind the fact I made recommendations on both rotors and brake pads as I was asked. ATE PremiumOne and HPS in this case.

I was told that I never give straight answers, I wait for the guy to "hang himself" and then correct him, and that he doesn't have time for it.

Well, when he asked about Brembos I told him we also have ATE and I preferred them these days (and told him why). He asked about pads and I recommended HPS's for his use. He then asked about Ceramics (and that's how it did it-- "what about Ceramics"). I sensed he wanted to know something specific, so asked him what in particular he wanted to know. I guess that pissed him off. I guess what was pretty ballsy of me--trying to find out what he knew or didn't or what he assumed about a product so I could give him the skinny.

I realize I'm not the guy who puts a happy spin on everything. I don't pull punches and say what I'm thinking, and will ask questions I need answer to in order to help the best way I can. If that upsets you, I'm sorry.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam,

I like what you're doing with the sport. I think you have forgotten more about this stuff than most of us know (and sometimes you struggle with speaking in layman terms to us subordinates).

And I appreciate the information you share.

But when I call you and I hear you sigh on the phone when I ask just a couple of quick questions, then after every answer I give you you spin it around and ask me a question that I can't answer it gets a little out of hand... take it for what it's worth... I'm just a guy with money to spend and I want the best for my application that I can afford.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

thankfully, i enjoy technical jargin. anyways, sam's always been great with me on the phone, maybe you just caught him on a bad day - we're all still allowed those i hope

as an aside to sam, why do you recommend ATE over brembo? or was it just in this particular application?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No disrespect to you at all Sam and I do truly appreciate all of your help but, in my opinion, perhaps you should think about how you come off over the phone. I dont know you or how you are in person, and I understand you are trying to help and have the most knowledge (and probably get asked these questions over and over again), but I too felt that you were somewhat snotty at times. I didnt like the sighing either...

We are not all experts and sometimes we ask dumb questions

btw, my car handles great now! Thanks again
Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS101
maybe you just caught him on a bad day - we're all still allowed those i hope
of course, this was my thought
Old 03-02-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS101
maybe you just caught him on a bad day - we're all still allowed those i hope
Absolutely we're all allowed to have a bad day, but I've talked to Sam 3 times now and he's pretty consistant... I just had enough of it today and told him what I thought.

Sam - I was in sales for a long time man. And I know how dealing with customers is - it's tough, especially when you know way more about a product than they do. However, I don't know why you act so put off when customers call... I mean, they are paying your bills right?

On a side note (and a complete contrast by comparision) I've spoken with Steve at Monster Clutches and he is incredible. He answers every question and is so nice to talk to. Maybe Sam should cold call him and take notes on how to treat customers.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I wasn't eavesdropping, so I can't comment on any particular conversations except my own.

Sam has never been anything but nice and helpful to me. I specifically recall when I bought my T2R from him. That was right around the time that he was beginning to recommend the rebuildable LSDs over the T2Rs. I called him on my cell, while driving down the road.

Sam spoke with me for exactly 1 hour 24 minutes (I remember, because I went over my minutes that month). I eventually had to pull over on the side of the road because the conversation was getting too long and involved for me to keep up with while driving.

I can't imagine any other person talking to me for an hour about a purchase that I may or may not make at the end of the call. In fact, I'd talked with him about it on at least 2 other calls, and not bought anything.

I'm a believer in good customer service (CS). But, my definition of CS differs by industry. If I stay at the Ritz Carlton, I expect people to kiss my *** all day long. When I go to a restaurant, I expect them to get my order right. When I talk to automotive people, I expect them to know what they're talking about. Sam knows what he's talking about.

I've got a guy that built the cage in my racecar. He also does all the stuff that is too involved or techincal for me. If you think that Sam is "snotty", then you'd think that this guy is Hitler, Attila the Hun, and the Alien combined. If he asks for a new welding rod, you'd better have one sharpened and ready to hand him. If he asks you for a socket, you'd better know what size he wants. None of it's personal - he just doesn't mince words.

Why do I put up with it? Well, the guy is a good friend. But, he does things right. When he does something, it's done right. It never fails, and I can count that it will perform as expected. Here's my perspective, in short:

His work = podium finishes

I like the second part of that equation, so I deal with the verbal "abuse" that comes with the first part.

But, like I said - Sam has NEVER been anything but 100% nice and helpful. My car is beyond the "bolt things up" stage. Most everything I put on it is custom made for the car. But, I still call Sam and ask him about this or that.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

What Ive realized is that there is people out there that will just ruin someones day, and you cant please everyone. I work at a restaurant, and holly crap, what we go through on a daily basis. Don't let it get to you Sam. People nowadays, just no words to describe.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
I can't imagine any other person talking to me for an hour about a purchase that I may or may not make at the end of the call.
I've had a long conversation with Sam as well... he's long winded...

I don't expect to have my *** kissed by anyone in this hobby. God knows it's full of egos. But I do deserve to be treated with respect. And if Sam is having a bad day and doesn't want to talk to the general public then he needs to let it go to voicemail. But again, I've talked to him on a few occasions and I just had enough of his attitude today... hence the reason for him writing this thread.

And from the guys in my neck of the woods the general consensus is that Sam is a jerk on the phone... because I called and asked them if they had ever deal with Sam...

And by the way, Steve at Monster Clutches spoke with me for an hour about the design of his clutch... SUPER great guy...
Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

To ATLSS:
Well, every time I have ever asked Sam a question through PM's, he is always nice and helpful and quick to respond. I plan on calling him sometime about a good drag race setup. You don't need to make posts about people like your other one. It's ridiculously dumb. If you have a problem with Sam, then call Sam, email Sam, just talk to Sam. Don't go on a board running your mouth about him. I realize this isn't your thread, I am referring to this one>
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...me-inside.html
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So alright, I can't keep my mouth shut on this one. Let me put this in perspective:

So if you were asking Michael Jordon for advice about basketball, would you then question the manner in which he gives it?

If your asking Tiger Woods for advice on how to play golf would you question him?

So why would you ask a 5x SCCA National Champion for advice, then question that advice? I for one consider myself fortunate that Sam is willing to not only sell us the products he personally uses, but also back-up those products with why he thinks they are the best choice. For me, I get advice from Sam and am just happy to recive it, if I don't fully understand something, that's why I'm asking a pro like him, so I don't have to necessarly understand it.

That's my perspective on things. Sorry if it sounds a little like a rant from "A Few Good Men" but hey that's how I feel.

For what it's worth though, I didn't fully understand why, I needed, Koni's vs. AGX, Sam took some time to explain the difference, but in the end it was his ADVICE that made me chose the Koni's. Then he spent well over an hour on the phone walking me through how to set the car up. Quite frankly, the best customer service experience I've ever had with my car and #2 wasn't even close, despite #2 being very good in their own right.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The guy asked if I called Sam... oh the irony of the question, so I figured I'd let the guy know that I tried...

I have absolutely no problem discussing anything with our buddy Sam. He's the one that has the issue here, not me.

Good luck discussing drag racing with Sam. I've tried that too.

Thanks

Originally Posted by keith_AE2010
To ATLSS:
Well, every time I have ever asked Sam a question through PM's, he is always nice and helpful and quick to respond. I plan on calling him sometime about a good drag race setup. You don't need to make posts about people like your other one. It's ridiculously dumb. If you have a problem with Sam, then call Sam, email Sam, just talk to Sam. Don't go on a board running your mouth about him. I realize this isn't your thread, I am referring to this one>
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...me-inside.html
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While your perspective is (somewhat) skewed, it might explain why Sam is the way he is on the phone... Maybe Koni needs to hire him as a sales/tech rep?

Because I don't care who you are, if you're running a business you need to treat your customers (new and existing) with respect. If he doesn't have time to do this, then his cash flow is short lived.

Remember, he is making money on your parts. He is not a sports icon.

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
So alright, I can't keep my mouth shut on this one. Let me put this in perspective:

So if you were asking Michael Jordon for advice about basketball, would you then question the manner in which he gives it?

If your asking Tiger Woods for advice on how to play golf would you question him?

So why would you ask a 5x SCCA National Champion for advice, then question that advice? I for one consider myself fortunate that Sam is willing to not only sell us the products he personally uses, but also back-up those products with why he thinks they are the best choice. For me, I get advice from Sam and am just happy to recive it, if I don't fully understand something, that's why I'm asking a pro like him, so I don't have to necessarly understand it.

That's my perspective on things. Sorry if it sounds a little like a rant from "A Few Good Men" but hey that's how I feel.

For what it's worth though, I didn't fully understand why, I needed, Koni's vs. AGX, Sam took some time to explain the difference, but in the end it was his ADVICE that made me chose the Koni's. Then he spent well over an hour on the phone walking me through how to set the car up. Quite frankly, the best customer service experience I've ever had with my car and #2 wasn't even close, despite #2 being very good in their own right.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ATLSS
While your perspective is (somewhat) skewed, it might explain why Sam is the way he is on the phone... Maybe Koni needs to hire him as a sales/tech rep?

Because I don't care who you are, if you're running a business you need to treat your customers (new and existing) with respect. If he doesn't have time to do this, then his cash flow is short lived.

Remember, he is making money on your parts. He is not a sports icon.
I'd agree my perpective was skewed if he hadn't talked me out of buyin LCAs saying that my stock ones were fine for what I as doing. If he was just a salesmen, why would he have bothered saving me $129? Konis are a better product, not just because I believe Sam, but because people upgrade from AGX to Koni and say it as well.

Sam is quite frankly a sportsmen that knows what it takes to perform and that's the opinion you'll get. Don't call looking for him to agree with what you want, he's going to tell you how it is whether you like it or not, but would you want anything else?

And in SCCA, he just might be an icon.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called Sam for his advice. I didn't call him and tell him what to recommend to me.

He is a jerk on the phone. Period. You're not going to change my opinion.

Thanks though.

I'd agree my perpective was skewed if he hadn't talked me out of buyin LCAs saying that my stock ones were fine for what I as doing. If he was just a salesmen, why would he have bothered saving me $129? Konis are a better product, not just because I believe Sam, but because people upgrade from AGX to Koni and say it as well.

Sam is quite frankly a sportsmen that knows what it takes to perform and that's the opinion you'll get. Don't call looking for him to agree with what you want, he's going to tell you how it is whether you like it or not, but would you want anything else?

And in SCCA, he just might be an icon.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called Sam for his advice. I didn't call him and tell him what to recommend to me.

He is a jerk on the phone. Period. You're not going to change my opinion.

Thanks though.
And he said he gave it to you..."ATE PremiumOne and HPS in this case." Then you apparently questioned that advice, which brings us back to my pesrpctive.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And he said he gave it to you..."ATE PremiumOne and HPS in this case." Then you apparently questioned that advice, which brings us back to my pesrpctive.
So, is a paying customer not allowed to ask WHY he made the recommendation?

I mean, since he is full of knowledge and he's spent so much time helping you through your setup why would he not be willing to further explain why one product is better suited than the other?

You have confirmed it all for me. Thanks for asking questions.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, is a paying customer not allowed to ask WHY he made the recommendation? ...
How many times total did you call him and what have you purchased from him?

EDIT: okay, you state you "talked to him 3 times." With that stated, what have you purchased, or at least made sense of confirming a future purchase?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread in here.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
How many times total did you call him and what have you purchased from him?

EDIT: okay, you state you "talked to him 3 times." With that stated, what have you purchased, or at least made sense of confirming a future purchase?
I was ready to purchase rotors and pads today...

And I was interested in his springs/shocks.

I hope you're not implying that he was tired of talking to me and not making a sale... because he barely remembered who I was because it had been a month and a year since I spoke with him on the other 2 occassions.

One more thing - it's a bad idea to try and determine someone's state of mind... because more often than not, you're wrong.