Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod ends

Who's running rod ends on the street and really how bad are they? I really need to make a decision today so I can get an order going tonight. Thanks guys. 02 Z28. Thanks Guys

Chris
Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have the rod ended spohn drag bar, poly/rod LCA's and rod ended panhard, as well as rod ended adj. torque arm.

if its set up right and you maintain the ends with white lithium grease, you will hear little to no noise. i only ever hear my sway bar when i hit a bump hard.

i dont normally daily drive my car on the street but i have been doing it since getting it back on the road in dec. and i havent hardly heard it.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris,

I personally run them on my daily driver and do not notice any additional road noise. The suspension feels stiffer over a bump but that is it to me. Others will have different opinions depending on what brand rod end they had or how many miles were put on them. A rod end is a wear item and over time the linings can wear (if they are Teflon lined)... we say you can get 25,000 miles out of them.

Some of the other options are items that feature rod ends on one end and poly bushings on the other end.

If you need any additional help please let me know and I will be glad too. Thank you!

Ryan
Old 03-06-2009, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a complete rod end suspension on the street but the car is a weekend warrior only. Any time there is a bump in the road you can tell they are back there.

Some people said their exhaust droned it out but my true duals did not and my car was loud. Again this was in bad road situations.

If you drive on nice roads you won't know they are back there. Like the people above me have said grease them and replace them when needed.

~Jim~
Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have all rod ends in the back and its a little louder, but i dont care, its a sports car. its really not a big deal
Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys I am ordering full UMI chromeoly LCA's with offset bushings and panhard rod all with rod ends TODAY!! Yes it will be a daily driven street car. And I really like the last answer it is a sports car who cares about a little extra road noise. Thanks again guys. Chris
Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the order Chris... we appreciate the business!

Ryan
Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

well mine is a sports car and i dont like the noise. and my joints dont smoke.

and chris chromeoly is wasted money for the street.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6

We explained to Chris the difference in the material, he understood but knew what he wanted and stuck with it, works for us!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by kamaroman68
Who's running rod ends on the street and really how bad are they? I really need to make a decision today so I can get an order going tonight. Thanks guys. 02 Z28. Thanks Guys

Chris
I have rod/rod lca's and now a rod/rod panhard. I keep them well lubed, and think they're quieter than the stock rubber bushing pieces, which squeaked probably because they were dried out. In any case mine is not a DD, just a weekend toy.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
well mine is a sports car and i dont like the noise. and my joints dont smoke.

yeah if your in denial about wanting quality material. dont get me wrong mild steel is very good too. but why wouldnt you perfer chromoly if you wanna to buy it. its worth every dollar i think, street or not.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

I hav Poly/Rod LCAs and Panhard rod. The only time I hear them is on a rock road. They are still pretty new though with <1500miles. Also I creep down this road at <10mph
Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
I have rod/rod lca's and now a rod/rod panhard. I keep them well lubed, and think they're quieter than the stock rubber bushing pieces, which squeaked probably because they were dried out. In any case mine is not a DD, just a weekend toy.
Rubber should make no noise unless the bushings are absolutely toast. They also will outlast rod ends by a large margin. As long as you inspect and replace your rod ends they will be OK. Just make sure to stay on top of them.

Originally Posted by firebird6786
yeah if your in denial about wanting quality material. dont get me wrong mild steel is very good too. but why wouldnt you perfer chromoly if you wanna to buy it. its worth every dollar i think, street or not.
Chromoly is like every material has it's place. It simply is not needed on the LCA's. Also it is more brittle than mild steel. For suspension parts I actually prefer mild steel to chromoly, others will undoubtedly dissagree though.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have rod end on all my rear and my front k-member and no noise, very quit
Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by firebird6786
firebird,
tpunk says it perfectly. chromoly is more brittle. why put a brittle thing on a bumpy street.

and i perfer my titanium LCA over chormoly and mild steel. but not everyone will drop 500 retail dollars on a titanium set. i guess they porbly wouldnt but a 1200 dollar titanium torque arm either.

i like mild of everything. unless it is track only

Last edited by Big Bird WS6; 03-30-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Banned

and i dont want to hear fomr anyone the chromoly is not brittle. YES IT IS. ask anyone that knows anything about it. when it is welded it heat treats it. which makes it brittle. strong, but brittle.

Quick Reply: Rod ends