Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

"Crunching" noise...a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Crunching" noise...a few questions.

I have a 98 WS6 with about 45,000 miles on the car, and I have few questions:

1.) My ride has been very rough lately, and I'm hearing a "crunching" noise when I ride over small and big bumps in the road. Are the rear shocks blown? Also, sometimes when I park the car and get out of the driver's seat the car makes a slight "crunching and squeaking" sound from the rear area. (I'm 170 pounds.)

2.) If this is just a shock problem, are there some other shocks besides the Bilsteins and Konis that have a little more comfort, but still help with handling? (On my last WS6 I put the Bilsteins on my car with stock springs and it felt like there was more wheelhop and the ride was VERY rough and rattled my car badly when going over small bumps.) Are there shocks which offer better handling with a closer to "stock" feel?

3.) I was looking into the Strano Bilstein shocks, b/c people seem to have good results. Are those shocks less firm than the nomal Bilstein HDs?

4.) Something a little OT...when I'm driving and release off the throttle, let's say @ 15 mph, the rpms decrease then I hear and feel a hard "clunk" from underneath the rear of the car. Do I just need to change/add fluids in the rear differential?

Thank you in advance for your time and responses,
Matt
Old 03-10-2009, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

Bump, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to fix this this problem this week, and purchase the right parts if possible.
Thanks,
Matt

EDIT: Weird. I must have created an account years ago, I accidently logged in under a name I use for a sports forum with the same pass.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are the shocks leaking?
Look/feel the shocks, do they feel wet?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I checked today and they show no signs of being wet.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Launching!

What do you have for bushings on the car? Are they original or has someone replaced them with poly bushings.

My poly bushing in the front end crunch whenever the weather gets cool or if its wet.

Installing poly bushings on my front upper and lower control arms is the most regrettable mod I ever did to my 2000SS

Quick Reply: "Crunching" noise...a few questions.