Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lightweight street brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lightweight street brakes?

The car sees too much street duty to go with drag brakes all around so I was wondering if anyone had something lighter than stock that is still fine for a daily driver. Also, they would have to be able to fit under my Bogarts like the stockers do.

Last edited by Cobra Commander; 03-09-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know but here's a bump because I have the same question.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe there's anything out there that would be worth the money spent. You'd have to watch for the ones that allow for fitment of your wheels...at the same time moving your hub pad out 1/4-1/2".

It's not going to be inexpensive, the only alternative in my opinion would be drag brakes. It's going to save you quite a bit of weight, but at the cost of not using them for something you're driving 12000 miles a year (typical DD car).

I'd say keep what you have or bite the bullet switching to drag brakes and braking less aggressive. At worse, you'll have to replace your rotors every so often.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I don't believe there's anything out there that would be worth the money spent. You'd have to watch for the ones that allow for fitment of your wheels...at the same time moving your hub pad out 1/4-1/2".

It's not going to be inexpensive, the only alternative in my opinion would be drag brakes. It's going to save you quite a bit of weight, but at the cost of not using them for something you're driving 12000 miles a year (typical DD car).

I'd say keep what you have or bite the bullet switching to drag brakes and braking less aggressive. At worse, you'll have to replace your rotors every so often.
I am resurrecting an old thread here, but I just wanted to say thanks to SJM for the response. This information answered the exact question I had!

Has anything changed in this area (lightweight street brakes) since this question was answered in 2009?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not aware of anything other than carbon ceramic brakes, and those haven't come down enough in price to justify the purchase. I hope they eventually bring the cost down enough and someone steps up to offer lots of different make/model options, but I'm probably dreaming.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Default 2-Piece Rotors

Only thing I can think of is a 2-piece OEM sized rotor such as the Baer Eradispeed Plus. Although they aren't cheap, they are lighter. How much? I'm not sure since I can't find any posted weights. However, I do have an "apples to oranges" comparison that might be somewhat helpful and help gauge your interest... My stock rotors I pulled off my 2002 Z28 (75,000miles) are a little over 18lbs each. My C6 Corvette sized (0.9inch larger diameter & brand new) 2-piece StopTech rotors are only about 1 lb heavier.

Anyway, fwiw...

Mark.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2002
Only thing I can think of is a 2-piece OEM sized rotor such as the Baer Eradispeed Plus. Although they aren't cheap, they are lighter. How much? I'm not sure since I can't find any posted weights. However, I do have an "apples to oranges" comparison that might be somewhat helpful and help gauge your interest... My stock rotors I pulled off my 2002 Z28 (75,000miles) are a little over 18lbs each. My C6 Corvette sized (0.9inch larger diameter & brand new) 2-piece StopTech rotors are only about 1 lb heavier.

Anyway, fwiw...

Mark.
I love my Erads.....had them since 2002 all around...135,000 miles and they still look new.

Definitely better breaking action than stock...mainly no fading like factory rotors did, and they feel very smooth.

Quick Reply: Lightweight street brakes?