Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

panhard adjustment issue OR ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question panhard adjustment issue OR ?

working on exhaust stuff and I had the rear axle at full droop this afternoon - body is on jack stands... then disconnected the shocks and lowered the axle... The passenger side rim and tire caught on the bump stop. The driver side had a little clearance...
so... my question is does this sound like just a simple panhard adjustment problem? I have the UMI adjustable one... or could it be something else that I am overlooking??

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's actually a geometry problem. The panhard bar travels in an arc, and as you lowered the axle, it followed the arc defined by the panhard bar. Lowering the axle that much, caused the axle to swing over at least 1.5-2 inches.

In order to determine if you need an adjustable panhard bar to center the axle, the car has to be sitting at ride height, with the suspension in a "normal" compression.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Heres a option!

Originally Posted by Scammper
working on exhaust stuff and I had the rear axle at full droop this afternoon - body is on jack stands... then disconnected the shocks and lowered the axle... The passenger side rim and tire caught on the bump stop. The driver side had a little clearance...
so... my question is does this sound like just a simple panhard adjustment problem? I have the UMI adjustable one... or could it be something else that I am overlooking??

Thanks!
Hello
Its not a problem! It is just the axle unloading when you took the shocks off. If you are worried about your rear being out of line. Put a string in the middle of the fender (kinda like a plum ball) with a wight at the end and get a measurement from the wheel on each side and that will tell you how far the rear is off and adjust from there.
Hope that helps!
Brad
Old 03-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys! So Im probably good, when I installed the new panhard I centered it up when the suspension was all on and loaded.

leadfoot, I was trying to think through the arcing deal... wouldnt that push it to the passenger's side? Unless Im mixed up seems like it should be catching on the drivers side as it swings down...
Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! So Im probably good, when I installed the new panhard I centered it up when the suspension was all on and loaded.

leadfoot, I was trying to think through the arcing deal... wouldnt that push it to the passenger's side? Unless Im mixed up seems like it should be catching on the drivers side as it swings down...

I would think that the weight of the axle would want to come straight down, with the panhard bar providing some bias to the passenger side, as it travelled in an arc. However, since the bar pivots at both ends, you might get a bit of "skew", and then, since you still had the tires in place, you'd stop whenever one of the tires came in contact with something.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Glad that I would Help! Just one more thing when you are adjusting the bar make sure the vehicle is unloaded so you are not putting any stress on any parts. If you have any other questions leave me know and I will be help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Just one more thing when you are adjusting the bar make sure the vehicle is unloaded so you are not putting any stress on any parts.
when you say vehicle unloaded, do you mean nothing extra? I thought the bar was best adjusted with everything hooked up and vehicle sitting on the ground. So the suspension would be "loaded" during adjustment.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought the bar was best adjusted with everything hooked up and vehicle sitting on the ground. So the suspension would be "loaded" during adjustment.

Thanks!
You are correct. If you unload the suspension and adjust the PHR when you set the car down it will be off due to the arc it swings on. Adjust it at your desired ride height.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

when you say vehicle unloaded, do you mean nothing extra? I thought the bar was best adjusted with everything hooked up and vehicle sitting on the ground. So the suspension would be "loaded" during adjustment.

Thanks!
No, We do not recommend this. If the vehicle is sitting on the ground and you adjust the panhard bar you are putting force on the panhard bar mounts and trying to slide the tires across the ground... this is not recommend.

You want to jack up the car and with the rear end hanging free adjust the panhard bar. Set the car back down and take your measurement, if it is still not were you desire jack it back up. Once you get it where you want it tighten the jam nuts and you are good to go.

If you need more help please ask us... we do this all the time

Ryan
Old 03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

To the OP, when adjusting your panhard bar with the car on the ground you will be centering the body over the tires, not pulling the tires across the ground.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys, I got my question answered....
bottomline: you want the centered measurements taken at ride height. Any other measurements dont matter since the axle swings while it travels.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 AM
12 Second Club

theres going to be trouble lmao!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMR VS UMI dumdumdum
Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 AM
FormerVendor

LOL...........
Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
To the OP, when adjusting your panhard bar with the car on the ground you will be centering the body over the tires, not pulling the tires across the ground.
Again I do not agree and feel this incorrect. You want to move the rear end and center the rear end under the car... not center the body over the rear end. If the vehicles weight is on the ground and you adjust the panhard bar you will be pulling or pushing the body, this will put items in a bind and cause pressure on mounts.

thanks guys, I got my question answered....
bottomline: you want the centered measurements taken at ride height. Any other measurements dont matter since the axle swings while it travels.
Yes exactly with the vehicle on the ground is when you want to take your final measurements... and sorry for all the un-needed arguments. I guess each company has there way of doing this.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote=UMI Performance;11234725]. You want to move the rear end and center the rear end under the car... not center the body over the rear end.

Your kidding right?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:06 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Your kidding right?

No sir...
Old 03-13-2009, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Again I do not agree and feel this incorrect. You want to move the rear end and center the rear end under the car... not center the body over the rear end.
Again it is just two different ways of adjusting it. Same outcome on both.

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
If the vehicles weight is on the ground and you adjust the panhard bar you will be pulling or pushing the body, this will put items in a bind and cause pressure on mounts.
So this "bind and pressure on mounts" only happens when you are adjusting the PHR? What happens when a 4th gen (or any PHR car for that matter) is pulling close to a G on a skidpad? What will happen to the mounts then?

Another thought......has anyone ever taken the PHR off their car while it is on the ground? Take your hand and put it on the rear quarter panel and give it a push. With no PHR on the car that body will sway left and right a few inches without the bar in the car. I don't see this movment as any sort of "extreme pressures" that are going to give the mounts anywhere near the stress they encounter during hard cornering.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
So this "bind and pressure on mounts" only happens when you are adjusting the PHR? What happens when a 4th gen (or any PHR car for that matter) is pulling close to a G on a skidpad? What will happen to the mounts then?
If the vehicle is sitting on the ground with the suspension fully loaded and you try adjusting the panhard bar- This will try to move the rear end on the ground which it can not do. Since it can not move the rear end it will now pull the body, if you pull the body and tighten the panhard bar this will me continuous stress on the mounts and other mounts of the vehicle putting them in a bind. This is completely different then actually driving the car with pressure...

I just don't agree with this, maybe you do and each to there own... but this won't get us anywhere other then making a mess of the original posters thread....

Quick Reply: panhard adjustment issue OR ?