Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

swaying problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does it slide or get loose when i'm not trying to accelerate through turns?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

We've talked about this, there can be a hundred reasons. And what's more is that's very vague. The LCA's you have bind the axle and add roll stiffness, much like a bigger rear swaybar--but in a worse, more inconsistent way. The springs you have are not too stiff, in fact they are softer than 1LE rear springs are, and Koni's are not at all ballistically stiff if you keep them turned down.

You aren't specific about how the rear tried to "slide" or when. And if nothing else, the way to find out what's what is to try making some changes. I'd start with the LCA's.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by spaulsen
yea im still not convinced its the shocks!
Old 04-09-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Mine does the same thing and i have Koni 4/4's and Strano springs. I also have BMR poly/poly lca, phb, and relo brackets. I talked to Sam before about this and due to the cold weather, he said the tires might not be sticking that well. My rear end is also new due to free warranty repairs. My fenders are rolled and the inner wells are not hitting. I also have 335 Kumhos on the back.
I stated this earlier in the thread, if you're going to mod your suspension you need to be clear as to what you want your car to do, and it's either/or.
Either setup for the 1/4 or the twisties, you can't have both...okay you CAN have both, and bottomline it won't do the 1/4 well, and it won't do the twisties well either.

It seems like your setup is a combination to both 1/4 & twisties as you have the Koni's and the poly/poly lca's as well, did you discuss this with anyone before you purchased them?

What did you set your Koni's to? How stiff did you set them up for the fronts? How stiff did you set them up for the rears?

I have double rod-ended PHB and I don't get any road noise from the PHB.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the problem is the lca's. I might try the rod/rod ones and see. I don't think I noticed it until I put the poly/poly lca's and relo brackets on. My shocks are full soft in the rear, fronts are 4 from full firm, and I have a poly/poly phb. I'm going with the lca's. Thanks he can have his thread back.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

had the car out today. i wasnt doughting sam or anyone else i just am one of those people that need to have all the answers to ideas of what the problem could be. i never thought anyone was wrong just wanted facts. that being said, thank you to all that have replied. anyways, had the car out and noticed a few things that pointed the finger at the shocks so i will replace them asap ( if i can ever get sam on the phone lol ) and let everyone know what ive found.......thanks again, shawn
Old 04-12-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

p.s..... would the watts link help with the swaying if it still happens after the shock install, assuming it still happens because of the tire size? and is the watts link good for drag strip?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Even if the shocks don't cure "the" problem, they will cure a ton of other issues that you may not notice since you've never feel what the car is like well dampened. You'll feel the car a lot better with a good set. I'll bet money that shocks will fix the issue.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Banned

ive swapped the shocks and the damn thing still sways really bad could the wider stock tires be the cause
Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 PM

hi new on here but need help i have a 1998 camaro ss and i just bought a set or c6 rims 19s the back 18s in the front i am getting a bad sway back and forth when i am hammering on it at about 80 and up. its coming from the back and did not do it until i put the rims on and it did sway on the camaro they came off of.i have a moser 9" rear end adj torque arm adj phb bigger sway bar with adj sway links and control arms.i also have all new shocks and 1.5 lowering springs the other camaro was stock suspension and still had a bad sway

Last edited by 1998camarossconv; 05-19-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I believe the problem is the lca's. I might try the rod/rod ones and see. I don't think I noticed it until I put the poly/poly lca's and relo brackets on. My shocks are full soft in the rear, fronts are 4 from full firm, and I have a poly/poly phb. I'm going with the lca's. Thanks he can have his thread back.
I have the factory LCA's, no binding, no problems.
my shocks are 4 from full firm, 1/2 turn from the rears.
I got 600# front springs 200# rears

and from what I gathered, getting aftermarket LCA's tend to produce binding, whatever that means...
others can chime in about that, and for great cornering characteristics I was advised that keeping the factory LCA's with OEM bushings work very well compared to the aftermarket LCA's with poly/poly or poly/rod-end, they don't work as well when in the middle of hard cornering.

Quick Reply: swaying problem