Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

swaying problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default swaying problem

i have a 98 camaro with c6 vette wheels. 19x10s in rear with 305-30-zr19s. the problem im having is when cornering the car seams like the rear is moving back and forth. kinda scary at high speeds. i have new lca's and panhard bar so i know its not those. i know with the wider tires they like to grab every little crack and creace but just dont understand it. the other thing is if your going straight and move the steering wheel left and right it doesnt do it. just when under cornering pressure. it feals like it sways sort of speak. thx guys, shawn

p.s. would the rear tires be doing that? i wouldnt think so......
Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have bolt on LCA relocation brackets on your car, and what type of ends do the LCAs have, poly or rod-ends?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

do not have lca relocate brackets and the lca's are poly on one end, and rod end on the other
Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I'll bite...

So you got a 98? How many miles?
What kind of shocks you got?
What kind of springs you got?
Other than the PHR and the LCA's, what else have you done to your suspension?
how fast are you going during these turns?
How fast is the turn meant for?
You gave us the tire size, who makes the tire?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in the answer to this too, my car started doing this after I went from stock wheels to 17x11 with BFG KD's (315/35). It feels almost as if the body of the car is sliding sideways relative to the axle. I have the following:

BMR non-adj torque arm
UMI Torque arm relocation kit
3 point SFC's
LCA's poly/rod
PHB poly/rod
SLP bilstiens
1LE springs
Poly sway bar links

Is it possible the sway bar is actually moving back and forth in its rubber bushings? I can see on both side of them where it seems to have rubbed on the bar. The mounts are tight, and I haven't been able to find any poly ones yet, nothing seems to list the right part number so I am waiting until I get new front and rear sways.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Assuming you have stock shocks, your problem is probably shocks. Stock shocks are that bad that they won't dampen simple things like keeping your car stable on the highway.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have:

stock shocks
stock springs
weld in frame connectors
136,000 miles
my wheels and tires are michelan pilots on c6 wheels
my lca's and panhard are umi with rod end and poly bushing
the cornering im talking about is on like an off ramp or a ramp that merges 2 highways together. i know it isnt too sharp of a corner to be going fast on cause my work van does it with ease at the same mph lol. so its not that im taking the turn too fast, like the other poster said it feals like im hitting a patch of ice here and there. i had a 85 iroc that i could take the curve in at 90-100 mph with no problems but at 65-70 with my 98 it does this. thanks for helping guys, shawn

p.s..... it isnt body roll. its something else......... to me it almost seems like the panhard isnt there!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spaulsen
i have:

stock shocks
stock springs
weld in frame connectors
136,000 miles
my wheels and tires are michelan pilots on c6 wheels
my lca's and panhard are umi with rod end and poly bushing
the cornering im talking about is on like an off ramp or a ramp that merges 2 highways together. i know it isnt too sharp of a corner to be going fast on cause my work van does it with ease at the same mph lol. so its not that im taking the turn too fast, like the other poster said it feals like im hitting a patch of ice here and there. i had a 85 iroc that i could take the curve in at 90-100 mph with no problems but at 65-70 with my 98 it does this. thanks for helping guys, shawn

p.s..... it isnt body roll. its something else......... to me it almost seems like the panhard isnt there!

Like your rear end is floating all over the place, right?

Anyway, 136K miles on stock shocks???

Dude, like I didn't want to assume, but what the others have already said, your shocks are fucked.

Bet your car feels like a boat trying to turn in big waves, it's floating all over the place.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

its an 02 rear so not as many miles on the rear as the car but it didnt do it with the stock wheels.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

its an 02 rear so not as many miles on the rear as the car but it didnt do it with the stock wheels.
Of course it didn't.

Now you got a LOT more bite with those wide tires so now it REALLY exaggerates the fact that your shocks are fucked and basically your rear end is floating so much it's getting light and your rear is drifting, probably causing your front end to drift too, makes sense?

Either that or your panhard rod is sooo loose that your body is shifting and if THAT'S the case check the sidewalls of your rear tires; if the body is actually shifting left to right & vice-versa, with those big tires you'll have your sidewalls cut up by the inner rear fender lips...that is if you didn't roll in the rear fenders.

In any case, re-check the PHR, make sure it's torque-wrenched tight, and if it is, then it's obvious your shocks are fucked.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

AND, if the PHR is tight, when you get new shocks, CHANGE ALL 4 OF THEM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

phb is brand new, and is tourqed. so i guess ill change the shocks. hope thats my problem.........
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

phb is brand new, and is tourqed. so i guess ill change the shocks. hope thats my problem.........

If you want more info on anything regarding your suspension call Sam Strano stranoparts.com he autocrosses a 4th-gen f-body for years and has won 3 or4 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in Autocross, ****** knows what he's talking about and he's VERY passionate about making f-bodies kick *** in the turns.

RE: shocks, Sam sells many different brands, and when you're going to buy new shocks do NOT buy OEM replacements if you want a better handling car, give Sam all of your issues and how much you want to pay and he'll give you options as to what would be best for your needs.

If you want to go cheap and get some Monroe or Gabriel or deCarbons(factory) and expect superior handling then you're wasting money...

But then again, you got factory shocks with over 130K miles on them, ANYTHING you get will be a noticeable improvement over what you got right now, so that's all relative to what you want your car to do AND how extreme your want your cars handling to improve.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

bump. hopefully Sam will chime in here.............
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah dude, change your shocks and make sure the rear tires aren't low of air.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does the same thing and i have Koni 4/4's and Strano springs. I also have BMR poly/poly lca, phb, and relo brackets. I talked to Sam before about this and due to the cold weather, he said the tires might not be sticking that well. My rear end is also new due to free warranty repairs. My fenders are rolled and the inner wells are not hitting. I also have 335 Kumhos on the back.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

my car does teh same except it sways just normaly driving it and when i hit teh brakes it either jerks right or left ne ideas
Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

This description always seems to point toward shocks. I'm sure you will feel a huge improvement if you swapped them out with a good set.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Banned

i swaped em alreadh for a new set of monroes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
This description always seems to point toward shocks. I'm sure you will feel a huge improvement if you swapped them out with a good set.
I have new Koni's

Quick Reply: swaying problem