Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shakey brakes and steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shakey brakes and steering wheel

So lately I've noticed that my steering wheel starts to shake when I apply the brakes. It doesn't do it so much under 40 or so, but at 50 and especially on the highway it gets worse. Last night I was playing around with a C6 vette on the highway and we got up to about 80 and when I braked slightly hard my **** was rattling around so much I could see the light from my headlights shuttering around on the ground. It shakes only lightly when I'm not on the brakes.

While I'm at it I might as well address another problem I've been having with my brakes. When I brake somtimes (mostly at high speeds like on the highway) I can feel something in the peddle and the car feels like it loses stopping power. When it first started to do this last year I got drilled and slotted rotors and new pads thinking it would fix it. And while that did help my braking some it didn't stop the sudden loss of power at high speeds. It just feels like the peddle gets very stiff, I don't really know how else to explain it. I would really like to get this taken care of because I honestly don't have confidence in my brakes. I think if it came down to me having to brake hard on the highway I would fly straight into the car infront of me. If it makes a difference, back when my friend and I were installing the new rotors and pads he noticed a slight tear on the seal/acordian looking thing on one of the caliper pistons on the drives side I believe, but I only think it was on one side. I don't know if that helps or not.

I would really appreciate any help... I hate my car feeling like it does haha. She has about 45,000 miles, baer drilled/slotted rotors and baer sport touring pads
Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

sounds to me like you have warped your rotors and that you need some stainless steel braided brake lines, should help your pedal feel and stoping power, the stock ones swell
Old 04-05-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah, thanks. Can drilled/slotted rotors be resurfaced? Also, does it matter what brand of stainless steel brake lines I get or are they all pretty much the same?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

id measure your rotors and make sure you have enough materal to do a refinish because if they are badly warped you are gonna need to potentally do alotta machining to get em true again..yes you can turn slotted rotors. and goodyear makes ss lines i think they go for 130ish for 4? that should really help with your brake fade.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Launching!

warped rotors and/or stuck guide pins on the calipers
Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say warped rotors, if you get a fluctuation in the brake pedal when you press it at high speeds, then you need to rotate your rotors. the type of rotors is irrelevant. solid, drilled, slotted, etc. all resurface to a perfect finish, just like new. that should fix the problem right away.

Quick Reply: shakey brakes and steering wheel