Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tubular a arm question- harsher than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009 | 09:04 AM
Launching!

Default UMI tubular a arm question- harsher than stock?

if i pick up the umi Cromo upper and lower a arms should i expect a harsher ride than with stock since they have no rubber bushings? I already did the bilstein shocks, new shock mounts, factory springs. Just need to finish this off now, and i got a few bucks lined up. My original parts are in desperate need of bushings after a sandblasting and powdercoat. This seemed like a decent alternative.

Last edited by oberth1; 04-07-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2009 | 10:29 AM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 04-07-2009 | 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've never noticed any noise increase with the front upper arms (I have GlobalWest bushings in factory upper arms, and had GlobalWest upper arms before that), but the front lower arms will transfer more road noise(expansion joints, snail trails, etc...), and you'll notice it, but only a little bit.
Also don't adjust the rod-end unless you need to; UMI already has them set to factory length, you might need to adjust the lower rear, but that should be it.
Overall I'm really happy with my UMI front lower A arms, and have no problems whatsoever.

FYI,
If you do make any adjustments to the rod-ends make sure you tighten the jam-nuts really good otherwise your ears will know it!
Old 04-07-2009 | 11:15 AM
Launching!

thanks! but from a driveability difference did it tighten the front end up? mine always seemed really sloppy.
Old 04-07-2009 | 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Clearly, Yes! no slop whatsoever!
Old 04-07-2009 | 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you do have 113k on your car or even more now? It maybe time for a new set of bushings and ball joints, and maybe hubs.

I've replaced bushings 3 times and ball joints twice on my car and I've only got 50k on mine. However, that 50k was earned 1 run at a time

You maybe able to get the desired result by replacing your bushings with rubber, or if your OK with a little maintenance work, switch to poly. They need to be greased periodically. Then if you'll have a good bass line on the vehicle which you can use to determine what changes you'd like to make.