Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting Springs and Hose Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsteele90
they make lowering springs for a reason.Other than throwing off the spring rate, riding on the bump stops, releasing the spring from the perch every time the car hits a bump, and popping the shocks in no time
No, I can't think of any bad things about cutting the springs.
Quit listening to morons and buy new springs.
So everyone who disagrees is a moron? What ever happened to stating your opinion while still having respect for what others think.

Do whatever you are comfortable doing to your car. If you dont like it or it turns out to be a bad idea then just put some new stuff on and move on.... that simple.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

they make lowering springs for a reason.Other than throwing off the spring rate, riding on the bump stops, releasing the spring from the perch every time the car hits a bump, and popping the shocks in no time

well lets see........all cars hit the bump stops and mine hasn't driven any differently than it did before. with the rear at full droop and the body hanging on jackstands i can't even pull them out, much less fall out. the spring rate on a stock spring cut is less than a lowering spring but more than stock so what's your point that being in between isn't an option? as far as "popping" a shock any suspension shop will tell you a shock is much more likely to loose it's ability to dampen a spring than it is to "blow out". using your logic of "because they make it i have to buy it" i guess i'll toss my custom td's in the garbage and go buy a tsp td kit so it will be right i do agree about listening to morons though
Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll reply because I've done it. It wasnt an F-body, but rather a much heavier B-body...but the principle is the same.

When you buy lowering springs - the spring rate is always different than stock. So why worry about changing the spring rate?

Why would he be riding the bump stops? He's not talking about cutting the spring in half!

Why would the spring release from the perch? Lowering springs are shorter than stockers and they dont release from the perch. Hell, my car is running on G2 springs which are hard as sh*t and they dont pop out of the perch.

Popping the shocks? I've never heard of a car popping the shocks because of cut springs.

People make lowering springs because other people will pay for them. If you have the dough, lowering springs are the way to go because you will know the exact spring rate/height drop based on others cars. Cutting springs involves cutting a little, then installing and driving them...then if its still too high cutting a little more, etc. You dont want to just hack off x number of coils, and you dont want to base your cut from another person's work because all cars are different. Its more work, but less $.

What do you think hot rodders in the old days did to their cars? There was no one making lowering springs so they had to do their own. seemed to work ok for them.

If your gonna do it, just remember its better to cut too little than to cut too much.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heres my experience.... I cut off 1-1/2 coils up front and 1 coil in back with the hose mod. I have the stock shocks/struts with 80,000 miles,I noticed very little ride difference and I had friends ride with me to confirm a still stock like ride. I didnt even have to take the front strut/springs off the car. I just hooked the compressor tool on the coils just above where i was cutting, basically leaving what i was cutting off dangling. Compressed it enough to take the pressure off the perches and cut the springs with a dremel tool w/ HD cut off wheels from walmart. It looks great I think and im happy I saved some dough. Im sure theres better ways to do it and buying springs would be the "right" way of doing it. I guess I just got lucky!!!

PS: I live in okla and we have crappy bumpy secind rate roads here and I have never bottom out on the bump stops or scrapped my headers or true duals...

Last edited by zaner; 04-10-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: info
Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

I'm not too keen on this modification, but I'll still gladly help someone do it.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Launching!

WOW this is a touchy question! Does somebody need a hug? LOL
Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gun4hire
lol @ dremel...

I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel but you could use a sawzall with a metal blade as well.
yup, it took 30 seconds a spring. I taped them off so it was smooth, and measured half a coil with using a ruler for each.

The reason I cut my stock springs instead of lowering springs, is lowering springs are softer, and I want to keep them stiff for launching. the V6 springs are also softer.

I cut 1.5 coils off to lower the rear to not have 3.5" of rake.

it lowered the rear 1.5" with me in the car and rides fine.

here is a before/after, hard to see it as the rear was squatting in the pictures.

Chad
Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by therealcreeper

personally the only time i would ever cut springs though is if i wanted to match the height of my front lowering springs with a soft rear rear spring for drag racing(i.e. cutting my stock rear springs a tad so i had a nice soft spring rate for the rear)
you want a STIFF rear suspension for drag racing

Chad
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I'll tell my story on this topic again fwiw ...

I'd done the hose mod on the rear of my A4 car and got a nice drop, but it made the front look too high. I had Bilsteins on the car and decided to cut one coil off the front to match. But then I listened to everybody on here who said "do it right; cutting springs is bad."

So I invested $500 in a pair of front Koni shocks to use the lower perch to get the drop in front. Well, it came out ok appearance wise, but the Konis gave me a big increase in impact harshness compared to the Bilsteins that has bothered me ever since.

So when it came to my M6 car, I went back to Plan A. Put Bilsteins on the front and cut one coil off; cut 1/2 from the back with the hose mod. Result? Nice drop, just the way I wanted, with NO increase in harshness or any other downside. Car rides beautifully.

Conclusion: I wasted $500 on the Koni shocks on my A4 car (since I already had Bilsteins). Cutting springs is a sensible way to go if you already have good shocks.

Quick Reply: Cutting Springs and Hose Mod.