Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

putting together a bbk

Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default putting together a bbk

i am going to run 13.19" drilled oem rotors from a c6 z51 vette. i am also going to run the calipers and pads. i will be using a caliper relocating bracket from bmr or ryan on the forums. i have fikse fm5 17x9 up fron and was wondering if anyone knew before i bought the stuff if it would fit. as a side note do i need a special braided line or can i run the stock fit braided? the calipers obviously are setup for abs but do to my 12 bolt i don't have abs and i am not sure how this will effect the calipers. any helpful input is appreciated.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by quickbrick
i am going to run 13.19" drilled oem rotors from a c6 z51 vette. i am also going to run the calipers and pads. i will be using a caliper relocating bracket from bmr or ryan on the forums. i have fikse fm5 17x9 up fron and was wondering if anyone knew before i bought the stuff if it would fit. as a side note do i need a special braided line or can i run the stock fit braided? the calipers obviously are setup for abs but do to my 12 bolt i don't have abs and i am not sure how this will effect the calipers. any helpful input is appreciated.
See if this helps, as for the wheels, no idea. I have BC Timeless 2's (17x9.5) and had to have the spokes customized by Boyd to clear C5's. Not all 17's are equal, some fit over the brakes some don't. I used Earl's braided steel lines, I don't think they were c5's, just f-bodies and they fit (no stretching or straining lock to lock).

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/br...51-brakes.html

"Let me clear this up.. the C5 spindle adapter bracket is the same, all you need is Z51 rotors and Z51 abutment brackets (IE different carrier), no other changes needed. Clear now?

Ed"
Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even better

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...te-brakes.html
Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well that sort of answered my question and did not at the same time. i want the c6 z51 rotors and calipers as stated on my car. i know about cutting and i am not scared. i want to know if they will fit less than a 18" wheel.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quickbrick
well that sort of answered my question and did not at the same time. i want the c6 z51 rotors and calipers as stated on my car. i know about cutting and i am not scared. i want to know if they will fit less than a 18" wheel.
Based on Ed's comment, I'm guessing the C6 Z51 PAB mounts "taller" on the c5 conversion bracket, or the PAB is simply bigger than the f-body/c5/standard C6 PAB is, thus giving you the extra .5"+ between the spring clip and caliper edge you need to run 13.4" rotor.

If that's the case you would need to measure the height and width of the caliper and meaure out a straight line 1.6" from the edge of your ls1 rotor to estimate where the caliper will sit with the new setup. You should then be able to determine whether A) the ribs or top of the caliper will be contacting the hoop, and B) if the caliper face will contact the spokes.

I looked at my c5 brakes today, and there are just a few milimeters between the hoop and the ribs on my c5 calipers. Take that for what its worth. Wish I could be more help.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

This might be helpful
C6 Z51 fitment template
http://www.kore3.com/downloads/fitme...es/DOC0013.pdf

"I'm not sure if the Z51 rotors will clear 17's or not. However, they aren't 14", they're 13.4" rotors. The 14" rotors are only for the C6 ZO6. Check out Kore3.com's website. They've got alot of information on what the caliper profile looks like for various upgrades using factory parts (vette calipers on 12.8", 13.4", and 14" rotors). You can use the C6 ZO6 14" rotors with C5 / C6 calipers but they are marginal to clear most 18" wheels (from my measurements, I think they'll clear 18" C5 wagons, but just barely). The Z51 13.4" rotors are unlikely to clear 17's, here's Kore3's fitment chart: http://www.kore3.com/downloads/fitme...es/DOC0013.pdf

Just to re-iterate, the F-body calipers, C5 calipers (std and ZO6), and C6 calipers are all interchangeable. The C5 stuff and C6 stuff have different logos. The f-body calipers have bigger piston bores (supposedly 44mm vs 40mm for the vette stuff). The C5 ZO6 calipers are identical to the standard C5 calipers, except they're red. That's it. The 'Vette castings are also better (than the f-body) because they're pressure cast vs gravity cast, meaning denser aluminum / greater strength. The Z51 C6 stuff have different abutment brackets that move the caliper out (radially) to accomodate the 13.4" rotor, and use the same caliper. The C6 ZO6 runs completely different calipers (6 piston fronts, 4 piston rears, with individual pads for each piston, meaning a set of pads is 20 pcs).

Good luck George."

Search this Thread