Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension gurus come in - looking for new setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You and I often disagree because we are very different in how we think. That much is clear. Don't take my word for it, you know PLENTY of folks agree with me, just like Thumper24.
Is that because they really know what they are talking about or you're Koni's were just the first hooker they found after the divorce?

Yeah, we differ on MANY levels.

For the record, I was actually supportive of your rant on others copying your work. The problem is, with a $30 collar on the front shock, I can almost duplicate your rate, their rate ... heck anyone's rate for under $200 retail and without going through all the winding BS you guys go through.

If I were you, I'd say let them have the springs, go to AFCO or Hypercoil, cut a deal and undercut their asses and leave them with a bazillion sets of springs in their warehouse.

But that's just me.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Mitch why do you insist on being like that?

You know that there are many out there that have had more the just stock and Koni shocks. And it doesn't at all change the fact that guys like flymybird is glad he has the ability to adjust his shocks. Might Bilstein's have made him happy relative to his OEM shocks? Maybe, as they'd be better than what he had. But clearly he's happy with his Koni's, but also knows he's wanting to firm them up something not possible with non-adjustable shocks. I can't disprove a negative. Your argument was addressed by a party that is not me, yet you still can't accept that there is another way... You know, deep down, that the reason Koni's are popular is because they WORK. You can't sell a part that isn't cheap unless the results can stand on their own. And you know they do. It's RARE anyone is unhappy with Koni's, and I've had folks change from every shock known to man. From OEM, and cheap junk like Monroes, drag shocks like QA1's, AGX's, SLP Bilstein's, even my own Revalved Bilstein's (never meant to replace the Koni only offer a more aggressive valving than HD's for less than Koni price)... We've even had Koni's make a guy who had LG coil-overs happier (not surprising once I saw the dyno curves--dead linear and lacking low speed rebound). I've revalved Penske's with Koni valving and made cars faster in the case of a Camaro and 3 Corvettes (and by faster I mean with proven results where the owner got beat down before, and was near the top after against the same competition with no other changes).

As for your $30 collar, it's not that simple in every case and adding a coil-over sleeve to a Koni requires modification of the shock which can void the warranty. Further, it can void the warranty of other shocks because sleeves leave marks that show coil-overs were installed, and shock companies aren't keen on covering shocks some dope (not you) ran 2" lower with 300 springs and bottomed out. And by the time you get collars, and then race springs your front setup isn't really cheaper than a good set of springs--and then what about the back? That takes more work if you want adjustable height there, way more than most are willing to do.

And the final rub. You against adjustable shocks because in your mind adjustment is somehow bad. But then it's ok to get adjustable collars and leave folks to their own devices to pick spring rates. Gotcha.

I appreciate your support of my rant. We can disagree on somethings, and agree on others, we're both adults.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Last edited by Sam Strano; 04-22-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I never saw this thread turning out like this..... crazy.

I get what mitch is saying 100%. Like all marketing, people are often hyped into thinking certain things....however, like strano says sometimes those folks can actually afford it and love the "feeling" of saying and or thinking they have the best out there, hence Konis.

I started posting with saying nothing against the sponsors, but cmon it gets silly when sponsors oveflow these forums. I think the best advice so far was " do you homework" basically use your best judgment after all it's your money!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn, Sam. You are just too much work and effort.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I know, it sucks when you the other guy just won't roll over and die.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL ... there, that's better ...

Quick Reply: Suspension gurus come in - looking for new setup