Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS inoperable...

Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS inoperable...

Well it took replacing everything in my brake system (master, booster, lines, calipers, pads, rotors) to get my brakes to the point in which they had the power to lock up, but now, after my LS1 front brake conversion, it seems my ABS is not working. I did a couple brake tests and I slid to a stop in a cloud of smoke..

So what are all the possible culprits for this? I was able to lock up one wheel on my stock calipers on a wet steep grade, and it did just that--locked up. Now I can lock both fronts, but obviously that's not what's supposed to happen..

I have no lights (ie ABS INOP) though I have reason to believe my ABS inop light may be burnt out, as i had my stock spoiler on the car for a couple weeks with leds in the light that used to set off the light, but now i have my ss spoiler back on which didn't previously set off the light, and it still locks the wheels up.

I'm thinking the actual ABS module needs to be replaced, but what else could cause the system not to work?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad/ditry sensors.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Which would be my front hub assemblies? Any other sensors?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
Which would be my front hub assemblies? Any other sensors?
Not sure on LT1's.. But, you have two in the front, and two in the rear (or one if its a 3 channel). I believe they are magnetic and can pick up some crap, so thats why I would say try and clean them and/or check the connection.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Now when you say clean off the sensors, the wheel hubs are sealed enclosures, so am I just cleaning the connectors and plugging it back in, or is there any more depth I can go in to?

I don't have traction control, so I assume that's what you mean by 3 channel. Where is the rear ABS sensor?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
Now when you say clean off the sensors, the wheel hubs are sealed enclosures, so am I just cleaning the connectors and plugging it back in, or is there any more depth I can go in to?

I don't have traction control, so I assume that's what you mean by 3 channel. Where is the rear ABS sensor?
I would think on top of the rear end.. Not too sure as mine was a 4 channel... Where you getting the inop light before you messed with the front brakes?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Like I said, I believe my ABS INOP light may not be working, as my old spoiler used to set it off, but it didn't when I had it on recently.

I was able to lock the passenger wheel up on one occasion prior to any front brake work (other than pads and rotors) with the LT1 calipers, on a wet hill, and it locked and slid, rather than pulsing with the ABS, so I don't believe the ABS worked prior either.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Well, I would check the rear to see if anything got unplugged.not working since you just did the front.... Hard to sat until you get up under the car and take a look..

I tore all my ABS **** off years ago.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

So are the only two things that could cause the ABS to not work the ABS module itself being faulty, and the sensors being bad/dirty? I checked on the rear axle and wasn't finding any kind of speed sensor. Couldn't it actually read off the driveline/tranny?

I did notice that my LOW TRAC light doesn't come on like it used to when I slam the brakes. But it also doesn't light up when I first turn the car on, so I'm not sure if it works. I replaced the cluster a while back and I really should do it again as there are too many little problems with this cluster.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Im sure thats a possiblility.. Maybe it is on the tranny.

Well, I would make sure everything is plugged in, sensors are cleaned and looks ok.. If that doesnt work then it could be your module. You can go buy all new parts and take the stuff that you dont need back to the store..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS inoperable...