Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question with LOWERING SPRINGS ON MY WS-6!!!

Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lowering springs on a ws-6!!! Need advice!!!

I got a question about lowering springs. I plan on getting the Vogtlant 1.2" F/R lowering springs. Now what i have is a 2000 WS-6 T/A with 59,000 original miles. I didnt want to go radical with a 2" drop just something to set the stance a little better. I also have 18" rims as well. Now my question is do i need all this other BS like shocks, relocation brackets and all that ****!! I dont plan on road racing or anything like that just something for a little show. Will my stock springs be fine. Just thought i would get some opinions. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by WS6guru; 05-09-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 05-09-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With any drop springs your shocks will wear out faster, your stock shocks are designed for stock ride height. So, I would definitely get some shocks that are designed for lower cars. As far as LCA relocation brackets, you probably won't need them if all you are wanting is a better stance and aren't out to race.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

you may want an adjustable pan hard bar though as well as the shocks

this will help center the rear end after the drop
Old 05-09-2009, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

And with 18s you will want to get new bump stops if lowering it. I would replace the shocks to. I got the eibach pro kit which is an 1.3 lowering kit.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6guru
do i need all this other BS like shocks, relocation brackets and all that ****!!
if by BS and **** you mean the stuff that effects the launching, handling, braking, and ride of your car, then yes you'll want it.

if you mean just those random parts that you don't understand the function of and cost money that you don't really feel like spending, then no, have fun with a terribly bouncy ride, with no launching ability due to insane wheel hop, and a non-centered rear end.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

my opinion on what is required/desirable:

1) shocks are a necessity. no argument here. if you know anything about suspension and the stock shocks on these cars, you can not possibly say it's a good idea to lower a car on the stock shocks.

2) alignment. you will need to get your car aligned after you lower it, unless you'd prefer to watch your tires wear unevenly for the remainder of their lives

3) relocation brackets. personally my car NEEDED these. others say they're not necessary but for me launching on nice days was like flooring it in the rain. driving in the rain was scary. brackets fixed it.

4) adjustable panhard bar/rod. not ENTIRELY necessary but i got one for peace of mind. the rear on these cars is sometimes shifted over a tad from the factory, and this will allow you to center/align it.

5) lower control arms. will eliminate the rest of the wheel hop if the brackets don't and make the car feel more solid.

6) polyurethane swaybar endlinks. chances are yours are pretty rusty and probably kinda worn. you're taking em off anyway and may break one or two so it may be a good time to upgrade. not a huge difference but they do do something.

you can decide what you want or is not entirely required, it's your car not mine, that's just my opinion
Old 05-10-2009, 03:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PONTIACTRANSAM94
And with 18s you will want to get new bump stops if lowering it. I would replace the shocks to. I got the eibach pro kit which is an 1.3 lowering kit.
where do you get aftermarket bump stops?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:14 AM
Staging Lane

Bump stops have nothing to do with a taller wheel, they matter when you go wider or a wheel with a much different offset. Here is a pic of how my car sits with vogtlands, it seems like they drop the rear a little more than the front, the wheel gap is maybe 1/2-3/4" more in the rear. You will need new shocks, the stockers will blow out. My suggestion is the koni's, they're great. I highly recommend you buy everthing the creeper suggested.

Last edited by jaguar5822; 05-10-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Yearone sells them
Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Vogtlant does make a set that has stiffer rear springs.

Vogtland 959213AK Audio Spring Kits. (ajusa.com has them)

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-10-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaguar5822
Bump stops have nothing to do with a taller wheel, they matter when you go wider or a wheel with a much different offset. Here is a pic of how my car sits with vogtlands, it seems like they drop the rear a little more than the front, the wheel gap is maybe 1/2-3/4" more in the rear. You will need new shocks, the stockers will blow out. My suggestion is the koni's, they're great. I highly recommend you buy everthing the creeper suggested.
ok whatever. Who makes different bumpstops than the OEM GM replacements?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PONTIACTRANSAM94
Yearone sells them
do they make them? or is it another company, if so what company?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless you rear bump stops are wornout there's no need to replace them, but I would remove the rear bump stop spacers if you have them on the car.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
ok whatever. Who makes different bumpstops than the OEM GM replacements?
My post was intended for the OP since he was the one thinking of buying springs that I have, so I'm not sure what your issue is. Energy suspension makes a few different styles, so do a lot of other companies. Google not work where you live?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Wow?!?!?! Thanks for the response guys. That helps alot. If you can list me some good shocks and whatever else i might need. Im kinda on a budget though. But just let me know your input. I already have aftermarket PHB and LCA's. Does it really matter if there adjustable. I just bought these from BMR like 6 months ago. I hope i dont have to spend another fortune on new ones. If I do I might just scrap the lowering idea!!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Decent shocks on a budget I've heard are the KYB adjustables, keep in mind you could just use the koni shocks and lower it a bit with the stock springs, you put the shock collar on teh lower mount and get 3/4" in the front, and do the hose mod in the back, removing the spring isolators, I forget exactly how much it lowers, just an option, take a look at people's cars who have done it that way and see if it's enough for you. You don't absolutely need an adjustable PHB, once the car is lowered, see how far off the rear end is and make your decision then.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Teching In

koni shocks will lower it with stock springs?!??!?!didnt know that. thats cool i will look into that. And whats this hose mode??? Never heard of that!! Any body have pics of what this might look like? Intersted!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Teching In

HOLY **** KONI's ARE EXPENSIVE!!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

lol yea but they might be the way to go rather than buying shocks and springs. Plus you can't beat lifetime warranty. The hose mod- basically there are big pieces of rubber on top of the spring between it and the car frame, you remove that, and put a piece of hose over that top coil. With the konis, there are 2 perch mounts on the front, one at stock height, and one 3/4" lower. I don't have any pics but if you search around you should be able to find some.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Teching In

cool thanks. I found a set of new gabriel shocks and struts and vogtland lowering springs. Would i be ok with this setup or do i need more?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question with LOWERING SPRINGS ON MY WS-6!!!