Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

c5 z06 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 z06 suspension

I was just wondering what would be an ideal shock/spring combo for a 04 c5 z06 that would be a daily driver but see some auto x.

-I want the car to have a nice lowered stance but not slammed
- handle great on city streets and auto x

I know alot of vette owners keep the stock suspension and lower the car on stock bolts, but since i also want a better ride and lowering I have been considering LG coilovers. I am a noob to vette suspension so all the help I can get is much appreciated.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont tell me you picked up a Z06..........
Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

In much the same way as with the F-body, the Corvette benefits from much better shocks as well.

I'd suggest a slighly lowering with stock springs with the OEM adjustment, and a set of Koni's. The result is similar to an F-body in that the car is less harsh on sharp impaces and more tightly controlled too. Roll slower, takes a set faster, feels more sure footed.

Here's a dirty secret. Coil-overs sell well for Vettes because the leaf spring has a bad connotation to it. But it's actually quite good. It's light, low, and due to the way they are mounted each end acts independently (many don't think that's the case). And with the Koni's you get an adjustable damper. It's a mono-tube, and even inverted-and with the lifetime warranty. With the kit you are talking about the damping is not tuneable by you, and I don't see what you are gaining by moving to coil-overs since the car is so capable stock and has ride height adjustment. Slamming a C5 is a bad idea anyway because the geometry goes to hell particularly in the rear.

I've setup a number of C5's and C6's for autox. I use the Koni's there too, and in fact have used them to beat cars that have much more expensive racing shocks from JRZ, Penske and Moton---even in some cases the much more Koni Racing shocks too. The fastest C5's over the last few years in Super Stock (and dominante in ASP too until last year in a close battle) were cars I had a hand in setting up and were running Koni's in an off the shelf form, or had trick shocks with basically Koni valving.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion