Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I put a new panhard bar on and....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that poly bushings can create slight bind when they are required to pivot, aka when the axle becomes angled during a turn. Do they also create a rotational bind, within the bushing as well? I'm asking because I don't know. Is the inner bolt sleeve on a poly bushing bound to the bushing itself or is that portion allowed to rotate?

This is a serious question, so please experienced answers only.

And sorry for the thread hijack OP
Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Rod ends will always be a slight bit more harsh/noisier than rubber bushings. Some people say they don't notice it, other people say they do.

I'm assuming this is a double rod ended bar since you said double adjustable?
this is definately true i have a bmr with the double adj. rod ends mines not that loud but you can ocassionally hear noises then again my car is loud period so maybe im just not hearing it as bad but it centered my rear end and made the car a whole lot more stable under a WOT launch.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

I get an annoying clicking noise back there,the rear also feels alot stiffer..Not as much give and I can feel every crack in the road now.I'm assuming its because the rear is more spread out so the suspension is traveling less. But the rear is straight now..
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I understand that poly bushings can create slight bind when they are required to pivot, aka when the axle becomes angled during a turn. Do they also create a rotational bind, within the bushing as well? I'm asking because I don't know. Is the inner bolt sleeve on a poly bushing bound to the bushing itself or is that portion allowed to rotate?

This is a serious question, so please experienced answers only.

And sorry for the thread hijack OP
The bushing pivots on the inner sleeve. The inner sleeve is held in place by the bolt torquing down on it.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irocem99
I get an annoying clicking noise back there,the rear also feels alot stiffer..Not as much give and I can feel every crack in the road now.I'm assuming its because the rear is more spread out so the suspension is traveling less. But the rear is straight now..
Something I have found with rod ended suspension components is if the rod end is sticking during it's movement it will produce more noise. I recommend a dry graphite type lube so it does not try to attract additional outside contaminants like oil will to the rod end.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
Something I have found with rod ended suspension components is if the rod end is sticking during it's movement it will produce more noise. I recommend a dry graphite type lube so it does not try to attract additional outside contaminants like oil will to the rod end.
Any info on this lube or where to get it? Also what kind of service interval for lubing the rod ends? Is it lube it once and leave it like the stock busings or a normal maintenance item. If so, what is that interval? Thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

how do you preload a phb? what other suspension components are required for preloading?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Any info on this lube or where to get it? Also what kind of service interval for lubing the rod ends? Is it lube it once and leave it like the stock busings or a normal maintenance item. If so, what is that interval? Thanks
Most auto parts stores should have it either in a spray can or a small squeeze bottle.

The service interval is going to depend upon the environment. The harsher the environment like high dust,or the exact opposite very wet is going to require more attention to keep them in good operating condition. The best thing is to maintenance them with every oil change.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
how do you preload a phb? what other suspension components are required for preloading?

We recommend trying to tighten all suspension components down with the vehicles weight on the suspension. Is it absolutely necessary maybe not... is it going to ever hurt....never

Quick Reply: I put a new panhard bar on and....