Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Changed up my brakes a bit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Changed up my brakes a bit

I was running Hawk HPS's on ATE rotors for the past 60K miles in my car...I always thought the ATE's looked decent, but honestly...out of the box they were thinner than other rotors, I wasn't happy with the fade resistance from day 1 (and I always attributed it to rotor mass)...and I also didn't like how as the pads/rotors heated up, I could feel the slots intersecting the pads through the brake pedal as I stopped the car from high speed.

Well, I started developing a more consistent vibration in the pedal, got out an indicator and measured runout/warping on the rear rotors.

I've never been one to turn rotors, in fact I'm very against it, so I ordered up new Hawk HPS's all around, and this time just went to AutoZone and bought some Duralast rotors. I used some Eastwood/G2 black paint on the rotor hats and calipers (gloss black, matches my black ZO6 wheels) lubed up the slides, and put it all back together. After I bedded the pads I have to say...the fade resistance is MUCH better than it was a week ago. The old pads I tossed were about 50% left...but I've never put old pads on new rotors so I replaced them. My fluid is fairly recent so I did not flush or bleed it...so in that regard, the only real difference is the rotors...and the car likes them.

I should say, the old pads had about 50% left...but the slots on the rotors were almost gone (ATE says to use them as a gauge on rotor wear)...so while the ATE's look cool, and they never corroded on the non-friction surfaces...they kinda sucked...not as much mass as stock rotors, right out of the box, made a noticeable vibration in the pedal when hot...even when new...and due to the lack of mass when new, not as much material to wear off before they're "scrap"...the other lesson there is Hawk HPS pads are HARD on rotors...for them to be half worn and the rotors to be completely worn...thats an agressive material...very very nice pads though, they feel great hot and cold, don't seem to get too different in how they bite based on temp, and they're silent in daily driving.

I always clean my wheels every day or 2...so I really can't gauge how they are for brake dust...other than that it's brown in color on my black wheels.