Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm Relocation Position

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Arm Relocation Position

I'm in the middle of installing an adjustable BMR torque arm with the relocation crossmember and I'm trying to figure out how to determine the best position for the front mount. I have the Strano springs with the Koni 4/4 shocks and am looking for good handling as well as traction. Does the position of the front mount have a big bearing on this, or is it simply there for clearance purposes. If it does, then how can I determine where to set the mount?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Set the front mount up so that the link plates holes are vertical. This will keep it from trying to shift forwards or backwards against loads. If it is allowed to shift because the link is at an angle the suspension will generate bind.

Point one finger strait up and with a finger from your other hand push strait down on it, now angle the finger and push strait down on it. See what I mean? This would simulate brakeing force against the arm front mount. Acceleration would do the same thing but pulling up.

Vernon
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to high jack but, I have the same question, but I have an SLP torque arm and a UMI torque arm relocator kit and when I drive in any speed sometimes I get this banging from under the car like the mount is loose but everything! is tight! Is this the binding your talking about? my mods are in my SIG.

To the OP I think I have one of the symptom you will have if you dont install it right. LOL
Sorry for the H/J!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am limited by my exhaust piping as to how low I can mount the bracket. There are slots on the top and holes on the bottom of the BMR relocation bracket. I can only get to about the 3rd hole down with the bottom of the bracket. I could go up with it, but I'm just not sure which way is best. Should I aim for the front mount to be lined up with the center of the rear mount when the car is under load or what?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by litle88
I hate to high jack but, I have the same question, but I have an SLP torque arm and a UMI torque arm relocator kit and when I drive in any speed sometimes I get this banging from under the car like the mount is loose but everything! is tight! Is this the binding your talking about? my mods are in my SIG.

To the OP I think I have one of the symptom you will have if you dont install it right. LOL
Sorry for the H/J!
Hello
Sounds like it is the mounting bracket of the torque arm hitting the tunnel! Either you can make clearance for it or it will stop when it made enough clearance for itself. If you look it the mounting bracket will be offset towards the drivers side. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These pics might help.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebird71
I am limited by my exhaust piping as to how low I can mount the bracket. There are slots on the top and holes on the bottom of the BMR relocation bracket. I can only get to about the 3rd hole down with the bottom of the bracket. I could go up with it, but I'm just not sure which way is best. Should I aim for the front mount to be lined up with the center of the rear mount when the car is under load or what?

Hello, having the arm in a higher hole hits the suspension harder. There is nothing wrong with the location that you have it in now. If you decide to move it make sure you reset your pinion angle. Here is a link to our video.

http://www.bmrtvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=3788
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-23-2009, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone know on the UMI relocation what the stock position would be? MY TA is NON ADJ so I just want it mounted as close to stock as possible
Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, having the arm in a higher hole hits the suspension harder. There is nothing wrong with the location that you have it in now. If you decide to move it make sure you reset your pinion angle. Here is a link to our video.

http://www.bmrtvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=3788
So ideally where would you want your TA front mount, higher so the suspension hits harder or lower to improve your instant center?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

For stock location, Ryan at UMI suggests the 2nd holes from the top on his pc.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool thanks I'll give him a call on Tuesday cause the banging is driving me crazy.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I changed my exhaust setup to a smaller y so clearance won't be an issue any more. This will be a mostly street car (for street racing) and I need to know the best position for the front mount for proper handling and braking with a little improvement to traction. I figure if Im gonna just put it in the stock position, what was the point of buying that expensive relocation crossmember?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at bluebird's pictures, is that torque arm mounted upside down? Or does it not matter which way you mount a torque arm?

I used a UMI mount and I went with the higher holes for exhaust clearance. It doesn't bang, hell I went from a body mount to this kind of setup, wish I had done it from the get go!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebird71
I changed my exhaust setup to a smaller y so clearance won't be an issue any more. This will be a mostly street car (for street racing) and I need to know the best position for the front mount for proper handling and braking with a little improvement to traction. I figure if Im gonna just put it in the stock position, what was the point of buying that expensive relocation crossmember?
the primary point of the relocation crossmember is to take stress off the transmission's tailshaft. anything else is secondary. so that x-member may be a little expensive, but it's far less expensive than repairing/replacing the transmission because the tailshaft broke.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Looking at bluebird's pictures, is that torque arm mounted upside down? Or does it not matter which way you mount a torque arm?

I used a UMI mount and I went with the higher holes for exhaust clearance. It doesn't bang, hell I went from a body mount to this kind of setup, wish I had done it from the get go!
No it's right side up.....

And yes it does matter which way it's mounted

Quick Reply: Torque Arm Relocation Position