Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My Custom Air Suspension Install - 99 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
did you ever think if removing the e brake and installing a line lock and just locking the front breaks? is that possible when the car is off? i mean for the line lock to still be working
No, I didn't. Yes, it would run the battery down.
There's no reason to remove the e-brake. I solved that problem pretty easily.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Cool, thanks!
The only thing I was looking at was their Air tanks.
I'm thinking about mounting an air tank(3-5gal.) where the windshield washer fluid reservoir is mounted. and possibly mounting the air compressor down below one of the headlights.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Cool, thanks!
I'm thinking about mounting an air tank(3-5gal.) where the windshield washer fluid reservoir is mounted. and possibly mounting the air compressor down below one of the headlights.
Watch out. Their tanks sometimes leak around the welds.

I was thinking about running long pipe in the frame rails under the doors to stiffen the chassis and double as air tanks.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-15-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, thanks!
I don't know what I was thinking, there's no way in hell I would get a 3-5 gal. air tank in that location.

And Thanks Jason, I'll just cross that website off my list!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found some electric valves you might be interested in.
http://www.airbagit.com/product_p/airvalv-arp-00.htm
i think that place is a part of AIM industry
i would never buy anything from them
they junk
i got some control arms from them and every thing was off
i had 2 cut them apart and put them back together so that the camber and caster would be in spec
the parts are cheaply made and just junk
Old 06-16-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Let me first say great work on all the projects I've read about that you've done over the years, nice to see someone trying different things with a different approach....

I too would like to make the front of my car liftable at the touch of a button for those high speed humps and driveways.

You seem to have a great deal of knowledge and experience with these types of things, and being a compleat newbie at this type of thing, hoped you might be able to guide me.
I will be installing konis very soon, and I want to keep my stock springs all round.

I wonder if there is something I can put on the front subframe, that will raise the rest of the car? (Just like a jack, but fitted on the subframe).
Mabey there is a hydrolic lifter / airbag type of device available I can fit on the front subframe, to lift the ride height.
Basicly, I'm after a remote mini jack (!!!).

Anyone got any ideas that won't cost a fortune???
Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by taws6
I too would like to make the front of my car liftable at the touch of a button for those high speed humps and driveways.

You seem to have a great deal of knowledge and experience with these types of things, and being a compleat newbie at this type of thing, hoped you might be able to guide me.
I will be installing konis very soon, and I want to keep my stock springs all round.

I wonder if there is something I can put on the front subframe, that will raise the rest of the car? (Just like a jack, but fitted on the subframe).
Mabey there is a hydrolic lifter / airbag type of device available I can fit on the front subframe, to lift the ride height.
Basicly, I'm after a remote mini jack (!!!).

Anyone got any ideas that won't cost a fortune???
Something does come to mind. Let me make sure I understand what your wanting. So you wish to stick with stock type springs and shocks, but be able to push a button and have the nose of the car raise a few inches for steep driveways? How quick would it need to be? Would 5 seconds work? Is your problem related to low hanging headers?

Some newer Lambos come with a setup to lift their nose for driveways and such. I think something like that would work for you. It would consist of a small light duty pump $60, 2 electric air valves $80, a small 1/2 to 1 gallon tank $? and either 2 small diameter bags or cylinders. That is going to be the key part and I'll need to research it a bit. I think Lambos use bags, but their nose is much lighter than our nose. A small diameter (2") cylinder may be the best choice. I'll get back to you on this when I have more info.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-16-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

There's already a product out exactly like that, at least for import cars!
Unluckily, I can't remember the name.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Found it!

"Coil-over Bag & Brackets" By Universal Air
[02-OR-SB]
It's on their website.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Found it!

"Coil-over Bag & Brackets" By Universal Air
[02-OR-SB]
It's on their website.
That's not what he's talking about. Plus it costs twice the price of a regular air bag setup. $800 vs. $400. I'm thinking of something much cheaper.

Here is the setup used on Various exotic cars. This works with coilovers and runs over $2000 for the front.
http://www.umbrellaautodesign.com/co...t_pending.html

It is a cheaper version of the above, called Roberuta which runs about $3000 for the front.

Notice the small compressor, tank and switches. These parts are the same as what I'm suggesting, except we will run a cheap cylinder next to the stock suspension setup.

This is the idea I had a long time ago. If the springs are set to ride height, then the cylinder will only be used to lift the car higher.
Name:  AirIdea.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  43.8 KB

If we can't use a simple air shock, we might be able to use a 2" or so industrial cylinder. They are on ebay all the time. We would need to add a return spring so it will stay retracted and not wear out the seals, then hit the button and it will push down on the lower control arm and raise the car. Or, we could skip the solenoid air valves and run a mechanical toggle valve ($15-$20). You would flip the switch and the air flow will stay open. We just add a $20 pressure regulator to limit things, and then flip the switch off and it will vent. This way there are no wires and you save yourself some money. It's more reliable, too.

We need to get the largest diameter cylinder that will fit and we need about a 4" stroke minimum (if it pushes down next to the lower shock mount). The larger the diameter, the stronger it will be and the less pressure you will need. The upper end of the cylinder will mount to the car and we will make a small "pocket" on the A-arm for it's shaft to push into. Just keep in mind, if the cylinder is not strong enough to give you the lift you want at around 200psi, you may have to run 2 cylinders per side. The further out you mount the lower pocket, the more force the cylinder will exert on the lower control arm, but you will have to increse the stroke along with it. The max stroke you would ever need is 6".

Here's a good example:
BIMBA 4" STROKE STAINLESS AIR CYLINDER 2" BORE 250psi $50ea.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-17-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT SHOP AT AIM OR ANY OF THEIR BULLSHIT.

I've been around s10forum long enough to know this ******* Joe Morrow like the piece of **** he is.

If you guys want some good prices and great customer service, check out suicidedoors.com and talk to Jason or anyone there. They're the ******* bomb. I got **** from there before when I used to have my s-10. They're seriously the best. Call them up and tell them what you need and they can get it done for you.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, AIM Industries is the core company and they have many websites:

chassistech
airbagit
truckin
truckinsuspension
airridepro
streetridepro
Avoid these places.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

awesome build jason... I might do this, the fabbing required is only thing scary to me. I might try and get the dimensions of that bracket and see if a local fab shop can do it for me. Keep up the good work
Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Lightbulb

Thanks for the help.

So you wish to stick with stock type springs and (koni) shocks, but be able to push a button and have the nose of the car raise a few inches for steep driveways? Yes. How quick would it need to be? Would 5 seconds work? Yes Is your problem related to low hanging headers? Front ground effects, and UK speed humps!

I would like this project to come in under $500 if possable.

The cylinder sounds ideal for my intended use.

I'll do some research and get back to you for advise.

Is there a company I should use? Mabey one that has different sizes and strength cylinders?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited by taws6; 06-17-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, here's another really cheap way that you can look into. Take some cheap, short shocks like below
Name:  P1160849.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  49.1 KB
and drill a hole in the bottom to drain the fluid. Then tap some threads in it, flush out any shavings and screw in a 1/4" air fitting. Maybe add a little fluid back in to keep rust away. You could also cut down the steel rod to make the whole thing more compact.

Like so:
Name:  P1160849copy.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  35.4 KB

If you can find some kind of small used tank and some used shocks you could probably build the whole thing for under $150 USD.

Don't forget some return springs.
Name:  P1160849b.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  36.8 KB

Here are the rest of the parts. This is a push button setup, but you could swap it for a toggle valve easily. Any kind of small tank will do.

You wire the pump to a relay that only turns it on when the engine is running and the pressure valve is below it's cutoff point. A small low duty cycle pump will work just fine since it won't run much.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-18-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

That's a nifty idea too

I'm not sure I could do the tapping the shock part, and I'm a little lost when it comes to airline pressures etc.......

Does the power have too come from air pressure, or is there a smaller, more compact way of producing the lifting power?

Not sure how I'm going to do this, but you've given me a great insight already, and I will definately get myself something sorted
Old 06-19-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Air power is probably your best bet. It's clean and cheap compared to the alternatives, such as hydraulics.

Now a hyraulic system would tap into your power steering pump and the pressure would flow into and out of a similar cylinder at each wheel. Your not going to want to have hydraulic lines going into your car for a manual switch so that means using a electric manifold block mounted under the hood. Everything jumps up in price and you have the potential for leaks which could leave you on the side of the road with not enough power steering fluid left to drive the car.

There used to be a hydraulic system out years ago for Hyundai's from Cozytech, but it was expensive and used coilovers. Here is a really cool video of the unit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbbPO...eature=related

Check out some of the umbrella design and roberuta videos, too.

So yeah, I think air is the way to go.

I also started out like you just wanting something to lift the car for obstacles, but I eventually concluded that a full air spring suspension was my best choice. I didn't want to spend $1000 for a pair of front Air Ride Tech bags whos shocks my not be that good, so I came up with my current setup using my own shocks and the Aero Sport bags.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-19-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

You have a compressor picked out yet?
I've been looking at the Viair 12v 350C, which has a low amp draw.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

I've not picked out a compressor, or anything else yet. I'm still trying to figure it out in my mind as to how it would work and be best setup.

I should be ordering my shocks in the next couple of weeks. I'll have a good nose around when I swap them in, and get a better idea of what's going to be involved. It's good having a rough idea of what to expect.

I'll get back to you for more advise soon, and when I fab something up, I'll make a nice little write up too

Thanks for all the advise,

Paul.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have a compressor picked out yet?
Are you asking me? I haven't decided between a pump or nitrogen yet.

Quick Reply: My Custom Air Suspension Install - 99 Trans Am